none
Project Server 2010 - Build Team from Enterprise Greyed out RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to find out why the Enterprise Resources are greyed out when I try to build an Enterprise Team for a project?

Starting from Project Server, I open a project in Project Pro.  Then go to Resource..Add Resources..Build Enterprise Team.  In the Build Team window, the Enterprise Resources are greyed out and I am unable to add them to be Project Resources.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:04 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

This should be due to a permission issue. If you are part of multiple groups, one of those groups might be associated with a security category that has some permissions related to resources denied, then you'll not be able to manage the project team.

Here are some category permissions related to resources that might trigger the issue in case they are denied :

• Build Team On Project
    • View Enterprise Resource Data and Assign Resources
    • View Team Builder (global permission)

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:13 PM
  • David --

To add to the excellent replies from Guillaume, if you are a member of the Project Managers group, you should be able to add resources to your project team (the resources should not be grayed out in the Build Team dialog).  This is assuming, however, that your Project Server administrator has not edited the default permissions in the Project Managers group or in the My Organization and My Projects categories that are part of the Project Managers group.

Assuming that your Project Server administrator has NOT modified the permissions in the default Project Managers group, the other action that can cause your problem is if you are members of MULTIPLE security Groups, and in at least one of those Groups, your Project Server administrator has set a Denied value on one, two, or all three of the permissions that Guillaume references in his first post.

So, to echo what Guillaume has told you, your situation is most likely caused by a permissions issue.  That being the cause, your Project Server administrator would need to track down and resolve the source of this issue.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by davidlcrooks Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:28 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

This should be due to a permission issue. If you are part of multiple groups, one of those groups might be associated with a security category that has some permissions related to resources denied, then you'll not be able to manage the project team.

Here are some category permissions related to resources that might trigger the issue in case they are denied :

• Build Team On Project
    • View Enterprise Resource Data and Assign Resources
    • View Team Builder (global permission)

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:13 PM
  • I'm just thinking to an obvious answer:

• you should be connected to your server (that should be the case if you are able to open the resource pool)
    • you should ensure that you didn't lost the connection while opening the resource pool in Project Pro

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:19 PM
  • David --

To add to the excellent replies from Guillaume, if you are a member of the Project Managers group, you should be able to add resources to your project team (the resources should not be grayed out in the Build Team dialog).  This is assuming, however, that your Project Server administrator has not edited the default permissions in the Project Managers group or in the My Organization and My Projects categories that are part of the Project Managers group.

Assuming that your Project Server administrator has NOT modified the permissions in the default Project Managers group, the other action that can cause your problem is if you are members of MULTIPLE security Groups, and in at least one of those Groups, your Project Server administrator has set a Denied value on one, two, or all three of the permissions that Guillaume references in his first post.

So, to echo what Guillaume has told you, your situation is most likely caused by a permissions issue.  That being the cause, your Project Server administrator would need to track down and resolve the source of this issue.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by davidlcrooks Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:28 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt replies Guillaume and Dale!

I am in the Administrator Security Group and in the My Organization Category. 

Confirmed that all the items are checked as Allowed including the ones that Guillaume mentioned.

I doubt there is any problem with the network connection...

Still have the same issue.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:33 PM
  • Since you have checked out that it is not a permission issue, maybe you could try a couple a things:

• log from another computer
    • log from another admin account

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:53 PM
  • Guillaume,

Yes, I forgot to mention there are others on the team with the same permissions with the same results with different computers and admin accounts.  Thanks!

David L. Crooks

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Hi David,

Maybe you got an issue with your resource pool.

Are you able to check-out resources from the resource center, either in PWA or in Project Pro?

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:27 PM
  • David --

Are you a member of any other security Groups, such as the Project Managers group or the Team Members group?  If so, remove yourself from every security Groups other than the Administrators group, and then let us know if this resolves the problem.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:28 PM
  • Guillaume,

I can add resources in PWA, but unable to add resources in Project Pro.  They are real simple resources.  Thanks!

David L. Crooks

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:04 PM
  • Dale,

I just went through the process with another user and she just had Adminitrators group and My Organization. Still there was no difference in the resources in Project Professional adding Enterprise Resources to the project.  Thanks!

David L. Crooks

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:06 PM
  • Hi David,

Since you can manage (edit, add) resources from PWA, it is apparently not a permission issue but a Project Pro.

• To confirm this, can you also try to build the project team from PWA (go to project center, then open a project and click on "build team")?
    • Do you have to latest SP/CU installed on client side?

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:16 PM
  • This morning I found a project where the resources was not greyed out. So, I need to compare this project with another project that has the resources greyed out to identify why the project is preventing the resources from being selected in Project Professional 2010.  Thanks!

David L. Crooks

Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:02 PM
  • Good to hear that.

Let us know your observations.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:07 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue. Please let us know what you found out. 

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 6:09 PM