Print management pack RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I apply Print MP to my Scom2007 but all server are "not monitored" how to fix this issue? 

thanks
    aurimas 

Friday, July 3, 2009 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I didn't use that MP for a while but if I remember well the MP discovers Print Servers and then runs rules against it but no monitors so the state appears as "not monitored".

I just checked on my lab and the state view shows object of type "Microsoft Windows Servers with Print Service Installation" and in the authoring pane I don't see any monitors running for this type.

There is a class "Print Server" that have monitors targeted on it but it looks like this class is internal and cannot be used in views outside the MP. Which mean you won't be able to make a state view targeted on this class but will only be able to see instances of it in the Discovered Inventory View.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Aurimas,

In most cases you will just have to wait. On what platform do the printservers run (windows version)?

regards,

Alex de Jong
    Friday, July 3, 2009 8:12 AM
  • thanks Alex,

I am waiting since yesterday, print server is on only one our machine, and scom is "not monitoring" almost all the machines, why ????????

thanks
    aurimas

Friday, July 3, 2009 8:39 AM
  • Hi Aurimas,

If I understand correctly, machines are not monitored completely? (open console, browse to monitoring, computers)..

few questions,

- Do the agents show healthy and Windows not monitored, or are the agents not monitored either. (maybe you could check: administration, pending actions..
    - Have you imported the Windows Server Core OS management packs?

a few screendumps would help too.

regards,

Alex

Friday, July 3, 2009 8:42 AM
  • oh, no no "not monitored" is on Microsoft Windows Print Server \ Microsoft Windows Server 2000 and 2003 Print Services \ State View

print server is on only one our server, and scom is "not monitoring" almost all the machines, why ????????
    Friday, July 3, 2009 10:36 AM
  • Trouble parsing the following sentence:

"print server is on only one our server, and scom is "not monitoring" almost all the machines, why ????????"

Can you clarify with what you mean by "not monitoring almos"t all the machines?

Do you mean you only have agent installed on the one print server machine?
    Do you mean that you have agents on a lot of machines, but a lot of them show up as something you are calling "not monitored" (do you mean the white circle?)

Are the agents healthy (go to operations manager view in the monitoring space, look at agent and management server health - are they green or gray or white - let us know).

Are there errors in the operations manager NT event log (start/run eventvwr.exe to see) on either the RMS or the print server host?  If so what are they?

Microsoft Corporation
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

I didn't use that MP for a while but if I remember well the MP discovers Print Servers and then runs rules against it but no monitors so the state appears as "not monitored".

I just checked on my lab and the state view shows object of type "Microsoft Windows Servers with Print Service Installation" and in the authoring pane I don't see any monitors running for this type.

There is a class "Print Server" that have monitors targeted on it but it looks like this class is internal and cannot be used in views outside the MP. Which mean you won't be able to make a state view targeted on this class but will only be able to see instances of it in the Discovered Inventory View.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Francois,

you are absolutly right the targetting in this MP is a mess and therefore the views are not working as expected. Besides this the overal state of this MP is rather poor there are more issues but if you want to make it workable check out this blog posting:

http://blogs.technet.com/kevinholman/archive/2008/08/27/print-server-mp-updated-added-support-for-server-2008-to-6-0-6392-0.aspx

It depends on what you want to monitor on your print server and if the MP is usable otherwise I would suggest you create a couple of custom monitors and rules to monitor your print server rather then using this MP.
    Don't know why Microsoft keeps this one in the catalog because if you take a look at the Print Server Management Pack it is definitly not ready. It is just a converted MP from MOM 2005 which is just not finished. People keep running into the same problems with this MP...so removing it would be best, I think.

Regards,
    Oskar

• Proposed as answer by oskar landman Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:38 AM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:36 AM
  • Keep in mind that windows 2003 print cluster servers are not supported.

And it's indeed a very poor MP....

Alexandre Verkinderen | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://scug.be/blogs/scom
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:45 AM
  • basicly what i need is to monitor Print spooler through MOM, but after importing print MP the state of monitoring server is "not monitored", how this mp works?

thanks Oskar, i think remove this mp is the best solution

aurimas

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:21 AM
  • Hi,

Last week we decided to use this mp. After 5 days it's still not showing any data regarding printers.

we are using windows 2003 server as print servers, if I use the "discovered inventory" under monitoring and set the target type to "print server" i can see all my print server correctly. BUT no printers are discovered.

I looked at the discovery script "PrintServerDiscovery.vbs", and I thing there is a problem with the script.

There is a function that search for shared printers using WMI:

Function ComputerHasSharedPrinters()
        wscript.echo "3"
        ComputerHasSharedPrinters = False

Dim oPrinters, oWMIPrinter
        Dim oPrinter
        Set oPrinter = new Printer
        Set oPrinters = WMIGetInstances("winmgmts:\\" & TargetComputer & "\root\cimv2", "Win32_Printer")
        If Not IsValidObject(oPrinters) Then Exit Function

For Each oWMIPrinter In oPrinters
            oPrinter.SetPrinter oWMIPrinter
     wscript.echo oprinter.Name
         If oPrinter.IsShared Then

wscript.echo "4"
             ComputerHasSharedPrinters = True
             Exit Function
         End If
        Next
    End Function

i ran the script manually and noticed that it detect one printer. i noticed that after one shared printer the script exit from ComputerHasSharedPrinters and stop discovering all other printers.

i changed the script and remark the Exit Function line , after several minutes all printers where shown in SCOM console.

what should i do with this MP? any idea?

Kobi

Sunday, July 4, 2010 7:20 AM
  • This is good news Kobi. Well done!!

I would be interested to know if you have made any progress with this.

John Bradshaw

Monday, August 30, 2010 3:18 AM
  • Hi John,

We decided not to use the print server MP.

i hope that Microsoft aware to this behavior and a fix will soon be available,

the thread is marked with an answer (????), is there any solotion to the problem???

Kobi

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:28 PM