Exchange 2007 -Can send emails but cannot receive external emails RRS feed

• Question

• We have internet domain such as testing.abc.com it also has a mx record on the public DNS servers, I am setting up a child domain for my testing with a windows 2008 DC for domain named joe.testing.abc.com , I have a Vm machine running 64 bit windows 2003  with exchange 2007 and is part of the windows domain  - "joe.testing.abc.com".  The internet domain of the exchange server is joe.testing.abc.com, I am using OWA to access the emailbox for the user's and I am able to send emails external however any email which I receieve from external users is stuck in the Drop folder on Domain controller and it stays their forever. The exchange server has a recieve connector for the internet domain and I have verified it is working by telneting to it on port 25.

Due to limitations I cannot make any changes to the DNS server, but if needed, I can change my internet domain to make this work. Both the DC and the exchange server is using DHCP.

Is there any way of making the routing work without having to install exchange on the DC or promoting the exchange server to a DC ?

Your responses will be much appreciated as I am not really a exchange guy.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:55 PM

Answers

• First - just to clarify - you haven't installed the SMTP component from IIS on to the Exchange server?

If you have setup a child domain, ie not a separate Forest, then your Exchange server will join an other Exchange servers that you have in production use. You cannot have a test domain with Exchange in a production forest, because the Exchange org boundary is the forest, not the domain.

The reason that email is being sent to the domain controller is because of the lack of MX record. Exchange will attempt to deliver email to the root of a domain without MX records, which will be your domain controller.

If you want to send email internally using SMTP then you need an MX record. If you want to send email between your production and test domains without an internal MX record then you will need a Send Connector configured with a smart host configure - the smart host being the other Exchange server.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources
    • Marked as answer by Narsimha4ever Friday, January 28, 2011 9:34 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:57 PM

All replies

• Shouldn't have to do anything with the DC functionality - including installing Exchange on a DC or making Exchange a DC (the latter of which is unsupported and will usually break Exchange).

Have you enabled anonymous on the Receive Connector?
    Where does this drop folder on the DC come in to it? Are you point SMTP traffic at the domain controller? Does the DC therefore have IIS installed on it? If so, have you configured it to relay the email correctly?

Simon.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:54 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, I am glad to know that this routing issue has nothing to do with it being not a DC . Previously I did not have anonymous on the receive connector but I have it now.

When I tried to test smtp resolution by using SMTP diag, it resolved test@joe.testing.abc.com to the DC and errored as I did not have SMTP on it previously, so I  installed SMTP on the DC including IIS. I tried to configure the relay previous to your reply but was not successful, I went over the setting's again.

This is what I have SMTP Properties_DC >Access >Relay button -All except the list below selected and the list is blank.

Delivery Tab- Advanced Delivery - Fully Qualified domain name -joe.testing.abc.com

Smart host -exchange 2007 server hostname

After doing so I see emails stuck in the queue folder. I changed the SMTP servers domain name to the hostname of the dc and all the emails in the queue folder cleared and returned to sender which said

#< #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@joe.testing.abc.com> #SMTP#

Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Why is IIS installed on the DC anyway? That isn't required at all. Are you unable to allow SMTP traffic directly to the Exchange server?

Simon.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:05 PM
  • When the DC did not have SMTP email were going nowhere, so I thought if I had an SMTP server they would get automatically routed but that did not happen and I tried to make it work with it present in the enviornment, I am uninstalling it from my DC now and post the outcome.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Sorry , I had a little glitch while getting the SMTP off the DC. I have the exchange 07 member server running IIS with SMTP .

I am using OWA and was successfully able to send email messages outside of the Domain, when I repond to this message I don't get a NDR or am not able to see the email in any of the SMTP folders on the exchange server. I ran this utility SMTPdiag from my production box it takes a sender email and recipient emails and provides result such

Searching for Exchange external DNS settings.
    Computer name is "production machine".

Checking SOA for  joe.testing.abc.com.
    Checking external DNS servers.
    Checking internal DNS servers.
    SOA serial number match: Passed.

Checking local domain records.
    Checking MX records using TCP: abc.com.
    Checking MX records using UDP: abc.com.
    Both TCP and UDP queries succeeded. Local DNS test passed.

Checking remote domain records.
    Checking MX records using TCP: joe.testing.abc.com.
    Checking MX records using UDP: joe.testing.abc.com .
    Both TCP and UDP queries succeeded. Remote DNS test passed.

Checking MX servers listed for  test@joe.testing.abc.com.
    Connecting to  joe.testing.abc.com  [nn.nn.nn.nn] on port 25.
    Connecting to the server failed. Error: 10061
    Failed to submit mail to  test@joe.testing.abc.com .
    Connecting to  joe.testing.abc.com  [n.n.n.n] on port 25.
    Connecting to the server failed. Error: 10061
    Failed to submit mail to joe.testing.abc.com.

So I guess our production DNS points to two server for joe.testing.abc.com- [nn.nn.nn.nn] and [n.n.n.n] the n.n.n.n is my test DC which it is trying to reach on port 25 .

So I guess, if somehow I am able to get my exchange server register with my DNS as joe.testing.abc.com my problem would be solved, I dont have access to our Production DNS and don't want to create a MX record for the exchange server.

Thanks again for your help

Friday, January 28, 2011 4:49 PM
  • First - just to clarify - you haven't installed the SMTP component from IIS on to the Exchange server?

If you have setup a child domain, ie not a separate Forest, then your Exchange server will join an other Exchange servers that you have in production use. You cannot have a test domain with Exchange in a production forest, because the Exchange org boundary is the forest, not the domain.

The reason that email is being sent to the domain controller is because of the lack of MX record. Exchange will attempt to deliver email to the root of a domain without MX records, which will be your domain controller.

If you want to send email internally using SMTP then you need an MX record. If you want to send email between your production and test domains without an internal MX record then you will need a Send Connector configured with a smart host configure - the smart host being the other Exchange server.

Simon.

• Marked as answer by Narsimha4ever Friday, January 28, 2011 9:34 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:57 PM
  • I had SMTP from IIS  , I uninstalled it, as I got your message from the question. I confirmed that I was able to telnet to the exhange server over port 25. My test setup is not part of the production forest at all, based on your responses it seems the only way I could get this working is by promoting the Exchange 2007 server as DC, I know it may not be recommended but I guess that's the best way for now to get routing working.

After running DCpromo the smtpdiag results showed email being routed to exchange server. At first they were not showing up and I had to take the mailstore offline and run eseutil after which I was able to see the emails which I sent after promoting the exchange server as a DC.

Thanks a lot for your help Simon.

Friday, January 28, 2011 9:34 PM