Actually "sharing" a calender between two different Exchange Organization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

i'm currently working on a project where we're deciding wheather to connect a new Exchange 2010 Organization to an Exchange 2003 organization. 
    I read a lot of stuff about the Exchange Interorg replication tool that enables a free/busy replication based on Public Folders and the availability service between an Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007 organization.

We were thinking about using a 'legacy' Exchange 2007 server in our newly Exchange 2010 and connect it to the Exchange 2003 organization using the Interorg tool.
    This way we'll have the free/busy info from both environments available to the users in both Exchange Organizations.

Can one of you guys tell what the granualarity of this information is? I know a user can see the free/busy information of a user in another forest while creating a new appointment, but is it possible to actually open cross-forest shared calender? (Outlook, Open -> Shared Calender -> user from the other Exchange Org.)

Regards,

Ruben

Friday, March 12, 2010 9:38 AM

Answers

• Although you can synchronize free/busy information across forests and use it to schedule meetings, you cannot use the Open Other User's Folder feature in Microsoft Office Outlook to view the calendar details for a user in another forest

----------Synchronizing Multiple Exchange 2003 Forests

For opening the calendar in another forest, the following is the options I know:

·         Exchange 2010’s new feature, Federation can easily share the calendar cross the forests

·         You can use the linked mailbox to open the calendar in another forest

·         If you are using outlook 2007, the calendar can be published to internet, and then share to person in another company, but with read-only permission

Resources:

Deploy Exchange 2010 in an Exchange Resource Forest Topology

Internet Calendars for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Monday, March 22, 2010 1:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:16 AM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:23 AM