none
expiry tolerance RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

I need to understand tape optimization advanced options.

write period and expiry tolerance.

about write period, i think it percentage of retention period. e.g. 1 month retention period and 15 days write period means i can  write to same tape upto 15 days. once write period is expired , tape is offsite ready.

what about expiry tolerance?

e.g if expiry tolerance is 7 days. does it mean after retention period expired, it will keep expired set available upto  7 days.

what is expiry tolerance exactly?

--parkar

UAE

Saturday, November 9, 2013 8:12 PM

All replies

• Hi UAE

I think you are looking at Tape Write Period Ratio

Indicates the number of days for which data can be written on to a tape as a ratio of the retention period of the first data set written to the tape.

For example, if the retention period for the first data set written to a tape, where Tape Data Colocation is enabled, is 100 days, and you set the Write-Period ratio as 0.15, data will be written to the tape for 15 days from the day on which the data set was written to the tape. After this period, the tape will be marked as offsite ready.

The value can range from 0 – 1.

The OptimizeTapeUsage parameter should be set to True to set TapeWritePeriodRatio for a DPM server.

By default the Write-period ratio is first backup time + 15 per cent of retention range; so if your retention is 1 month the tape will be 4.5 days after the first back is take on the media.

Thanks

Russell

Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:24 PM
  • hi,

yes it is correct, but what about second part. I have also asked about expiry tolerance.

what about expiry tolerance?

e.g if expiry tolerance is 7 days. does it mean after retention period expired, it will keep expired set available upto  7 days.

what is expiry tolerance exactly?

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

For DPM 2010 - see the following Blog that explains in more details how the TapeExpiryTolerance setting works. I encourage you to download the spreadsheet at the bottom of the blog and play with the setting to see how the window opens and closes.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/05/14/things-you-can-do-to-help-data-protection-manager-utilize-your-tapes-full-capacity.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:04 PM