none
Problems enabling 3D acceleration using DDA

Question

• Hello,

We have a Windows 10 Pro x64 Gen2 VM on Hyper-V Server 2016 with a graphics card assigned to the VM using DDA. We have managed to get all that working successfully, the card is installed with the latest WHQL signed drivers and we've successfully run a number of 3D tests and confirmed a four to five times increase in framerate over what we saw when we ran the same VM using RemoteFX (for additional clarification, we're not using RemoteFX any longer, it was used simply to get a baseline performance comparison using the same hardware in a different configuration).

However, when testing a number of features such as GPU accelerated browser features, media playback and some testing tools we've found that Direct3D seems to be broken. Taking a look at DXDiag we can see that DirectDraw acceleration and Texture acceleration are both 'Not Available'. Attempting to inspect the graphics configuration leads to problems, as you can't access 'Display adapter properties' from an RDP session. Using the Hyper-V Management Console and direct connecting to the VM only allows us to access and edit the display properties of the 'Microsoft Hyper-V Video' adapter. We can disable that in Device Manager, but then when we attempt to open 'Display adapter properties' it shows the adapter as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' - it has reverted to the basic display driver because the Hyper-V Video adapter has been disabled, but hasn't/isn't able to shift over to the dedicated DDA graphics card.

So how do we set the DDA graphics card as the primary/sole adapter? And can we bypass the RDP restriction disallowing adapter property access? Or is there some other way to force enabling full 3D graphics card features on a VM if you can't remove the Hyper-V Video adapter?

Thanks,

Trevor

• Moved by BrianEhMVP, Moderator Thursday, January 26, 2017 5:18 PM combination of DDA and RemoteFx here would be the best place to address
    • Edited by TrevorX Friday, January 27, 2017 2:51 PM Additional clarification provided to remove ambiguous language, so the reader can see that RemoteFX is *not* in use.
    • Moved by Jay GuModerator Thursday, February 2, 2017 10:02 AM OP needs move to Hyper-V forum
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Trevor,

Here is an article below may be helpful to you.

New RDS Capabilities in Windows Server 2016 for Service Providers

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/hybridcloudbp/2016/11/15/new-rds-capabilities-in-windows-server-2016-for-service-providers/

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 27, 2017 5:45 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Jay. Unfortunately I'm not sure you either read or understood my issue - the link you've provided is a brief overview of the new improvements of RDS. My issue is quite technical and specific - why do you think a basic introductory document would be helpful? I know what DDA is - I've successfully implemented and tested it. What I'm trying to do is what was claimed on the box - provide a 'full desktop experience' to an RDP session connected to a Hyper-V 2016 VM. Unfortunately it appears there are technical hitches to delievering on that promise.

I don't want to be rude - at least you've replied, so that's something. However, it is a little insulting when someone quite clearly demonstrates that they are actively using a particular tool, feature or technology, but they're seeking assistance because they've come across a difficult issue, and the advice they're given is to go back and familiarise themselves with the promotional material. It is disappointing that the majority of replies I've received on Technet over the years have been similar - canned responses that don't even remotely address the issue being raised.

So, again, thanks for writing, but can you please bear in mind that if you don't have anything constructive or useful to add that actually addresses the issues people are experiencing, you are really just frustrating people.

Friday, January 27, 2017 2:19 PM
  • Hey BrianEh, may I ask, why did you move this out of the Hyper-V area? I'm not sure you understood my issue - we're *not* using RemoteFX, we're *only* using DDA. We tested VM performance with RemoteFX and now we're doing qualification of DDA, but they're not in use together (they can't) nor is there an intention to continue down the RemoteFX route. RemoteFX is irrelevant to our issue.

I realise there is obviously a large amount of overlap between RDS and Hyper-V with an issue like this, but RDS can happily operate on a baremetal server - the issue that we're seeing that appears to be caused by the Hyper-V Video virtual display adapter, however, is very much specific to Hyper-V, and I think it will be either someone with extensive knowledge of Hyper-V or someone in the Hyper-V team itself that will be able to solve this for us. RDS will only really be helpful if there *is* a way to get access to Advanced Display Properties from an RDS session, but I'm highly doubtful of that.

So if there's an MVP around, could you please review this move by BrianEh to the RDS forum - I believe this issue is far more specific to Hyper-V than RDS.

Thanks!

Trevor

Friday, January 27, 2017 2:28 PM
  • Can a moderator please move this back to the Hyper-V forum? No one is going to be able to help with this issue in the RDS forum, as it isn't an RDS problem. I need to remove the Hyper-V Video adapter - that doesn't even exist in RDS.
    Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:13 AM
  • How did you get along in the end? this thread was the second in the list when i searched
    • Edited by 3and20 Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:26 AM
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:26 AM
  • Hi 3and20, sorry I didn't reply to this earlier, I didn't receive a notification about it so only just noticed it.

Unfortunately no one at Microsoft has been able to/is willing to help with this - I've been stonewalled at every turn.

We tried going back and testing RemoteFX, and discovered that you need extensive (and expensive) licensing for RemoteFX to work - you can set it up and test it, but after your first reboot it won't allow you back into the VM without a valid license, and that requires software assurance. Which you need to purchase prior to purchasing your server license and CALs, and then keep maintained forever. So RemoteFX to a HyperV VM is essentially quite expensive (on an ongoing basis) simply due to restrictive licensing costs. Thanks Microsoft.

But as for DDA allowing a 'full desktop experience', that simply isn't possible because you can't get the DDA'ed adapter to operate as the primary graphics adapter within the VM, due to the Hyper-V Video Adapter getting in the way. With no way to get rid of that, Direct3D won't work, so only OpenGL applications can actually take advantage of the DDA passthrough card.

In the end we stripped out our test graphics card and sold it. I'm glad we went to the effort of exploring this because we now know its limits inside out, but I'm extremely frustrated and highly disappointed by the utter lack of support we got from Microsoft, particularly given we were pushing the bleeding edge of their latest technologies in ways no one else was and we were more than willing to work with them to explore the issue. Microsoft are more than willing to get us to beta test their software and provide unpaid support on technet, but whatever you do don't expect them to actually provide their own support to their own products.

Friday, January 5, 2018 12:56 PM