none
Can't access server within Windows Explorer\Network of Win10 Pro client

Question

• I've set up this WS 2012R2 as a test bed to learn some of the ropes managing such a server when put into production.  It is visible in a client's Network folder of Windows Explorer but when I click on it expecting to see the available folders I get an error popup saying "the <servername> is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource."  Doing the same from the server and clicking on the computer name of my client and other computers on the LAN all accessible folders appear and can be read and written to.  I have tried to setup "Work folders" using Server Manager in the server but can't get anywhere with that.  That may be due to the DC being switched off.  I switched off the DC because I wanted to install SQL Express on this computer - which has installed and works.  Another article in Technet said that DC has to be disabled to install SQL Express or it has to be installed on client computer under the domain.  However I'd prefer not to do that.  I guess a VM is an option if having DC switched off creates too many problems.  The physical machine has enough RAM to support a VM.

You can see I'm all at sea with this server stuff.  What I need is study and experience with administering a server but that takes time to gain.  Meantime I have to solve this file server practical issue.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 10:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

> It is visible in a client's Network folder of Windows Explorer but when I click on it expecting to see the available folders I get an error popup saying "the <servername> is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource."
    I want to confirm with you that if problem happens on specific sharing folder?

Please right click the folder and open Properties – Security, please confirm that if current/specific user account has appropriate permission on this folder, such as full control, Read & execute. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 01, 2017 5:30 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:15 AM