Errror on clicking "Related Links scope settings" link under site administration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have publishing site and when user clicks on "Related Links scope settings" under site administration user receives following error on the screen:

Value does not fall within the expected range.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFieldCollection.GetField(String strName, Boolean bThrowException)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.GetValue(String strName, Boolean bThrowException)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.GetValue(String strName)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.get_Item(String fieldName)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.LinkPicker.get_NonSelectedLinks()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.LinkPicker.GenerateGlobalLists()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.LinkPicker.OnLoad(Object sender, EventArgs rgea)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

On checking ULS logs following error was logged.

Unhandled exception caught during execution of Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.PageBase::ErrorHandler(). Exception information: Exception information: System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFieldCollection.GetField(String strName, Boolean bThrowException)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.GetValue(String strName, Boolean bThrowException)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.GetValue(String strName)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.get_Item(String fieldName)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.LinkPicker.get_NonSelectedLinks()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.LinkPicker.GenerateGlobalLists()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.LinkPicker.OnLoad(Object sender, EventArgs rgea)     at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()     at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()  

from the above exception it looks like it is ehecking for some list or field, but I am not sure which one.

Has anyone come across this issue?

Regards,

RK

Radhakrishna
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:39 PM

Answers

• Hi RK,

Did further research on this and the stack indicates that we are enumerating items in the lists of the web which have the content type "Links". We could check the root site (View All site contents) to find out lists based on "Links" list template and find out if there are any rouge/corrupted items. You should be able to figure out the link lists by looking at the icon of the list. In your test environment where you can reproduce the issue, you may try to clean up those link lists and check the behavior.

Thanks,

Manas

Regards,
    Manas Biswas
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by RK Naik Friday, November 25, 2011 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hello RK,

Thank you for your question.

We are trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

This may take some time. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:36 AM
  • I'm working on a client site where they're also getting this error. Has there been any progress with finding a solution?

Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Hi Radhakrishna,

In my test environment, I collected the verbose SharePoint log while clicking the relative links scope setting link and found that list we use is  /lists/links which is on the root of the site collection.

w3wp.exe (0x10FC)        0x0768        CMS        Publishing        6ovk        Verbose        Console XML successfully loaded from SiteAction on page http://sharepoint2007/_layouts/RelLinksScopeSettings.aspx.        

w3wp.exe (0x10FC)        0x0768        CMS        Publishing        8ztg        Medium        Got List Item Version, but item was null.        

w3wp.exe (0x10FC)        0x0768        CMS        Publishing        6ovk        Verbose        Console XML successfully loaded from SiteAction on page http://sharepoint2007/_layouts/RelLinksScopeSettings.aspx.        

w3wp.exe (0x10FC)        0x0768        CMS        Publishing        6ovm        Verbose        End OnLoad of XmlConsoleDataSource from file "SiteAction".        

w3wp.exe (0x10FC)        0x0768        Windows SharePoint Services        Database        880m        Verbose        SqlCommand: ' SELECT TOP 2147483648 t1.[Type] AS c0,UserData.[datetime1],UserData.[tp_ItemOrder],t1.[TimeLastModified] AS c15,UserData.[tp_Created],UserData.[tp_HasCopyDestinations],UserData.[tp_ModerationStatus],UserData.[tp_Level],UserData.[nvarchar1],t2.[nvarchar5] AS c7c11,t3.[nvarchar4] AS c13c10,UserData.[tp_WorkflowInstanceID],t1.[Id] AS c3,UserData.[ntext1],t2.[tp_ID] AS c7c9,t3.[tp_ID] AS c13c9,UserData.[tp_HasAttachment],t1.[TimeCreated] AS c14,t1.[MetaInfo] AS c2,UserData.[nvarchar3],UserData.[tp_UIVersion],UserData.[tp_Modified],t2.[nvarchar1] AS c7c8,t2.[nvarchar4] AS c7c10,UserData.[tp_ID],UserData.[tp_CopySource],t1.[DirName] AS c6,t3.[nvarchar1] AS c13c8,UserData.[tp_InstanceID],UserData.[tp_GUID],CASE WHEN DATALENGTH(t1.DirName) = 0 THEN t1.LeafName WHEN DATALENGTH(t1.LeafName) = 0 THEN t1.DirName ELSE t1.DirName + N'/' + t1.LeafName END  AS c1,UserData.[tp_Author],UserData.[tp_Editor],t3.[tp_Created] AS c13c12,UserData.[tp_UIVersionString],UserData.[nvarchar2],t1.[LeafName] AS c5,UserData.[tp_ContentType],UserData.[tp_ContentTypeId],t2.[tp_Created] AS c7c12,t3.[nvarchar5] AS c13c11,UserData.[tp_WorkflowVersion],t1.[ProgId] AS c16,UserData.[tp_Version],t1.[ScopeId] AS c4,UserData.[nvarchar4],UserData.[tp_IsCurrentVersion] FROM UserData INNER MERGE  JOIN Docs AS t1 WITH(NOLOCK) ON ( 1 = 1  AND UserData.[tp_RowOrdinal] = 0 AND t1.SiteId = UserData.tp_SiteId AND t1.SiteId = @L2 AND t1.DirName = UserData.tp_DirName  AND t1.LeafName = UserData.tp_LeafName  AND t1.Level = UserData.tp_Level  AND t1.IsCurrentVersion = 1 AND (1 = 1)) LEFT OUTER JOIN AllUserData AS t2 WITH(NOLOCK, INDEX=AllUserData_PK) ON (UserData.[tp_Author]=t2.[tp_ID] AND UserData.[tp_RowOrdinal] = 0 AND t2.[tp_RowOrdinal] = 0 AND ( (t2.tp_IsCurrent = 1) )  AND t2.[tp_CalculatedVersion] = 0  AND t2.[tp_DeleteTransactionId] = 0x  AND t2.tp_ListId = @L3 AND UserData.tp_ListId = @L4) LEFT OUTER JOIN AllUserData AS t3 WITH(NOLOCK, INDEX=AllUserData_PK) ON (UserData.[tp_Editor]=t3.[tp_ID] AND UserData.[tp_RowOrdinal] = 0 AND t3.[tp_RowOrdinal] = 0 AND ( (t3.tp_IsCurrent = 1) )  AND t3.[tp_CalculatedVersion] = 0  AND t3.[tp_DeleteTransactionId] = 0x  AND t3.tp_ListId = @L3 AND UserData.tp_ListId = @L4) WHERE  (UserData.tp_IsCurrent = 1) AND UserData.tp_SiteId=@L2 AND (UserData.tp_DirName=@DN OR UserData.tp_DirName LIKE @DNEL+N'/%') AND UserData.tp_RowOrdinal=0 AND (t1.SiteId=@L2 AND (t1.DirName=@DN OR t1.DirName LIKE @DNEL+N'/%') AND t1.Type=0) ORDER BY t1.[Type] Desc,UserData.[tp_ID] Asc OPTION (FORCE ORDER) '     CommandType: Text CommandTimeout: 0     Parameter: '@L0' Type: UniqueIdentifier Size: 0 Direction: Input Value: '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000'     Parameter: '@L2' Type: UniqueIdentifier Size: 0 Direction: Input Value: 'c406cd04-055e-4cbb-9982-c60ebe7af911'     Parameter: '@L3' Type: UniqueIdentifier Size: 0 Direction: Input Value: 'e97dd752-7f01-42ba-9fae-4b700379c5b4'     Parameter: '@L4' Type: UniqueIdentifier Size: 0 Direction: Input Value: '78482440-a35a-4a4f-9287-461ca0bc099e'     Parameter: '@DN' Type: NVarChar Size: 260 Direction: Input Value: '/Lists/Links'     Parameter: 'DNEL' Type: NVarChar Size: 1024 Direction: Input Value: '/Lists/Links'        

w3wp.exe (0x10FC)        0x0768        Search Server Common        MS Search Administration        8oeg        Verbose        'SharedServices1', scope '07cb5d36-26fc-46a1-a29c-bf8de6de12e0': populating        

Could you check the access to the list /lists/links ? Is there any modification on links list or columns associated with it?

Is this the only place you are seeing the error? Is there any modification on the OOB columns? Is the issue specific to one site collection or Is web application wide issue?  

You could see similar issues if there is any issue with SSP or search functionality so please verify the SSP and search is working fine. You may enable verbose log and check the ULS log for any errors/exceptions related to the categories Field , Database, Publishing and MS Search administration after reproducing the error by accessing the relative links scope settings. You can use ULS Viewer tool to monitor real time log . You can download ULS log from here http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/ULSViewer .

Regards,
    Manas Biswas

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Hi Manas,

I checked 'lists\links' it is unchanged. The issue is only with one site collection I am able to open related links in other site without any issue. I compared the links list between the site collections and they are same. There is no problem of permissions because I am opening the site with service account.

I am still checking and provide more updates.

Regards,

RK

Radhakrishna
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:52 PM
  • The .aspx pages which is giving the System.ArgumentException, does it have hard coded URL in the <mso:PublishingPageLayout> tag.

Try changing it to the current site collection URL.

Regards, Vishwas
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Hello RK,

You may want to follow the steps below to see if that helps . Please ensure that you have a working copy of the site collection backup or preferably SQL level content database backup of the problem site collection before following the steps below

>>Deactivate and activate the features “RelatedLinksScopesettings” by running the below commands

>>Deactivate and active the site feature “Office SharePoint Server Standard Site features” from site settings>>Site administration.

Thanks..

Regards,
    Manas Biswas

Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:17 AM
  • Hi Manas and Vishwas,

Thanks for the response and apologize for delay as I was busy with one critical production issue.

@Manas, I tried deactivating and re-activating feature and activating Office SharePoint Server Standard Site features but still I see the issue. I suspect this must by related to custom code some where. I will investigate further and update this thread.

@Vishwas, URL in the browser address doesnot have any hard coded URL, <mso:PublishingPageLayout>  tag did you mean chec this in the sharepoint designer?

Regards,

RK

Radhakrishna
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Hi RK,

Thank you for the details. Based on the your updates, the issue is happening only on one site collection, it might be due to some custom code. Were you able to reproduce the error on your test environment with same site collection? Can you verify whether the issue is happening only on root of the site collection  or all the sub sites under the site collection? so that we can further narrow it down to site collection level or sub site level.

You may try to export the site collection, import to a new site collection Url and check the relative links scope setting.

Regards,

Manas

Regards,
    Manas Biswas

Sunday, November 20, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Hi Manas, 

This is happens at root site collection. I have not yet seen sub site level. Yes I was able to reproduce in dev VM. 

Regards,
    RK 

Radhakrishna
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Hi RK,

Did further research on this and the stack indicates that we are enumerating items in the lists of the web which have the content type "Links". We could check the root site (View All site contents) to find out lists based on "Links" list template and find out if there are any rouge/corrupted items. You should be able to figure out the link lists by looking at the icon of the list. In your test environment where you can reproduce the issue, you may try to clean up those link lists and check the behavior.

Thanks,

Manas

Regards,
    Manas Biswas

• Marked as answer by RK Naik Friday, November 25, 2011 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:19 PM
  • Hi Manas

I found the issue. There is a functionality which generates hidden list called "CustomNavigationPublish" this list is based on Links template. Below is the definition

<Elements xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/">
      <ListInstance
      Description="Custom Navigation Publish List"
      FeatureId="56a0e28c-fb01-4487-9eed-726046abb426"
      Id="CustomNavigationPublish"
      OnQuickLaunch ="FALSE"
      TemplateType="103"
      Title="CustomNavigationPublish"
      Url="CustomNavigationPublish">
      </ListInstance>
    </Elements>

I havent yet found exact reason (means which column not populated, is the column missing ...) will update that information in a day or two.

Thanks your previous gave me hint.

Regards,

RK

Radhakrishna
    Friday, November 25, 2011 1:37 PM
  • Hi Manas,

I have found the exact reason. The list which I mentioned about had missing Columns "URL" and "Notes" which are present in list "Links".

After I created these two columns the related links settings started working.

Thanks a lot for helping me out with this issue.

Regards,

RK

Radhakrishna
    Friday, November 25, 2011 4:47 PM