How to manage automatic site-wide client push installation? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

We have enabled automatic site-wide client push installation in our environment which is having a negative impact on the new bare metal OS installations. The SCCM 2012 client gets installed during the build process which affects the installation of the core applications such as MS Office.

For now, to workaround the issue we have disabled the auto client push only for workstations but as a long term solution I would like to know if there is any way we can delay the auto client install till the build process completes.

We do have the SCCM client package part of the core application in our MDT task sequence, but the auto client install happens even before that.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 4:36 PM

Answers

• Ultimately, a better solution here may be to just disable automatic client push and use another method to deploy the client agent like a startup script.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:54 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 1:55 PM

All replies

• Ok not sure i get it.

You are deploying the OSD using MDT and not SCCM with MDT integrated. During the deployment of the OSD using MDT stand alone SCCM push the client to the computer.

if this is the case you could simply make the computer discovery for SCCM less frequent. SCCM will not push the client unless it's in SCCM and if the computer is being deployed by MDT it should not be in SCCM until one of your discovery method add him.

Just make that discovery less frequent.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 4:53 PM
  • I know this does not address the question directly (and you may have very valid business reasons for it), but why are you deploying operating systems using MDT and not ConfigMgr? you can integrate the two and get great functionality and flexibility.

The answer to your question probably depends on what your deployment process looks like also.

Jeff

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 4:55 PM
  • We have started testing OSD with Windows 8.1 and have plans to move to OSD via SCCM for Windows 10.

Back to square one... When you ask to make the discovery less frequent, do you suggest increasing the "Delta Discovery Interval" time under the AD System Discovery?

Currently we run a full discovery every 7 days and delta discovery every 5 minutes.

Do you think increasing the delta discovery to 3 hours will make the difference?

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:04 PM
  • You could change the delta discovery interval or disable delta discovery entirely? Then make your full discovery more frequent (daily?)

Jeff

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:09 PM
  • Just curious! Is it recommended to have a full discovery run on a daily basis?
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:39 PM
  • I would make the delta discovery twice as long as it take to make the image that way you will have peace.

You can do a full discovery at the rate you want as long as your system can handle it (need to make sure SCCMas the time to do the entire scan.). But doing a full every 7 day and delta every 3 hours should be enough.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 7:13 PM
  • I wish I could, but the maximum limit that I can set for AD System discovery (delta discovery) is just 60 minutes!!!
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 9:52 AM
  • Ultimately, a better solution here may be to just disable automatic client push and use another method to deploy the client agent like a startup script.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:54 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 1:55 PM