Install path stored in registry RRS feed

• Question

• Does registry will store all the original install pathes where my application is from??
    Suck like after i installed AdobeReader ,will registry store where i launched the install package??
    i need to enumerate all install path of all applications

Marcus
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 4:24 AM

Answers

• Derosnic finds the install source in control panel.
    This type of key finds where an .msi installer was executed from. The numeric value is unique to the installer.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\204113BBCE08C944FB58A2666E5589D4\SourceList

These keys also point to the install location.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Example:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{205C6BDD-7B73-42DE-8505-9A093F35A238}   String name - "InstallSource"   String value - "J:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.000\"
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:30 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:40 AM
  • In the example the .msi windows installer file was extracted to my profile temp folder which gets purged every once in a while so that path is obsolete but in other cases you can locate the source.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:49 AM

All replies

• I don’t quite follow you but the key below determines where programs will be stored when they are installed. If you change it to, say, D:\ it will not move previously installed programs to drive D.

The key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion. In the right pane ProgramFilesDir points to the stored location, normally C:\Program Files.

Saturday, August 8, 2009 7:43 AM

• Here's a trick that I use with Vista.

In Control Panel > Programs & Features > View > Choose Details...  tick the box for Source  to see the origin of the install.  I think that's what you're looking for, Marcus.  Also tick Location to see where the installed program now resides.  Setting up those columns is a little bit tricky.  Make sure to click the checkbox entry to highlight it, then also key-in a numeric column width.  Then, you can also use the Move Up/Down buttons to choose the order the columns are displayed.  It's not hard.  You'll see.

btw
    - you can also right-click the column header bar instead of using View > Choose Details...

Saturday, August 8, 2009 8:13 AM
  • Derosnic finds the install source in control panel.
    This type of key finds where an .msi installer was executed from. The numeric value is unique to the installer.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\204113BBCE08C944FB58A2666E5589D4\SourceList

These keys also point to the install location.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Example:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{205C6BDD-7B73-42DE-8505-9A093F35A238}   String name - "InstallSource"   String value - "J:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.000\"
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:40 AM
  • In the example the .msi windows installer file was extracted to my profile temp folder which gets purged every once in a while so that path is obsolete but in other cases you can locate the source.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:49 AM