Vista freezes constantly, is my external hard drive to blame? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, im having some issues with my dell dimension 5150 freezing constantly, can be from 20 minit perioids to 2 days at a time. Its a conflict of some sorts causing this, it usually happens when my flatmate connects to the internet on his notebook, we are both connected wirelessly, i find that at anytime he connects to the router it somehow conflicts with my pc and it freezes, does this make sense to anyone? Im also using an external hard drive to download larger torrents through, as this will be used constantly, i was also wondering if this may be causing it to freeze as its overheating it? And theres also an issue of unplugging anything from the front usb hubs, whenever i unplugg something it causes my wireless dongle to stop working and i have to manually take it out and put it back in again for it to restart. It seems all of my problems are somehow USB connected, but how do i narrow this down to find out what the soloution is? Hopefully someone can help.

Cheers
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting your question to Microsoft TechNet Forum.

According to your description above, I may suggest that you perform the following steps.

1. Run security software to do a whole disk scan, there might be related to virus or malware.

2. Try to connect the computer to internet on LAN, and see if the issue occurs.

3. Based on my research, the original Operating System for Dell dimension 5150 is Windows XP. So there might be related to compatibility driver issue. Please check if wireless device driver is up-to-date Windows Vista compatible driver, you can contact manufacturer to obtain it and manually reinstall the driver to see if it works.

4. Perform a clean boot to identify which program cause this issue exactly.

Please refer to the following KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

5. Meanwhile, if neither of above works. Please unplug devices connected to your computer, and uninstall USB device drivers. Then plug device one by one and restart the computer to automatically detect device.

If there is any concern, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.

Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:41 AM
  • Hi Dale

Well it seems i have fixed the issue (fingers crossed) Thinking the unit may be overheating for whatever reason, i have removed the side cover, but i also found an update for the Belkin wireless dongle. So far, 48 hours, no problems what so ever, so im going to put the side cover back on, and hope that the problem causing it was the out of date driver.

Thanks for your reply

On a seperate problem outwith this, im having a problem with MSN messenger live not updating the email count, i am recieving emails and the notification box isnt updating, only when i sign out and back in again, and when i visit the hotmail site and read/delete the emails, the count remains the same on the messenger box untill i sign out and back in again. Any ideas? Ive searched google and can see other people have the same problem, but nobody has found a soloution.

Once again, Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting your question to Microsoft TechNet Forum.

According to your description above, I may suggest that you perform the following steps.

1. Run security software to do a whole disk scan, there might be related to virus or malware.

2. Try to connect the computer to internet on LAN, and see if the issue occurs.

3. Based on my research, the original Operating System for Dell dimension 5150 is Windows XP. So there might be related to compatibility driver issue. Please check if wireless device driver is up-to-date Windows Vista compatible driver, you can contact manufacturer to obtain it and manually reinstall the driver to see if it works.

4. Perform a clean boot to identify which program cause this issue exactly.

Please refer to the following KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

5. Meanwhile, if neither of above works. Please unplug devices connected to your computer, and uninstall USB device drivers. Then plug device one by one and restart the computer to automatically detect device.

If there is any concern, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.

Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:41 AM
  • Hi Dale

Well it seems i have fixed the issue (fingers crossed) Thinking the unit may be overheating for whatever reason, i have removed the side cover, but i also found an update for the Belkin wireless dongle. So far, 48 hours, no problems what so ever, so im going to put the side cover back on, and hope that the problem causing it was the out of date driver.

Thanks for your reply

On a seperate problem outwith this, im having a problem with MSN messenger live not updating the email count, i am recieving emails and the notification box isnt updating, only when i sign out and back in again, and when i visit the hotmail site and read/delete the emails, the count remains the same on the messenger box untill i sign out and back in again. Any ideas? Ive searched google and can see other people have the same problem, but nobody has found a soloution.

Once again, Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Hi,

Congratulations, I'm happy to hear that you have resolved the issue. However, this forum only focus on one issue in each thread. If you have another separate problem, could you please create another new post? Then we will follow up the issue separately. Please understand and cooperate. Thanks.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:06 AM
  • Thanks again, i think i have found the problem, downloading torrents from certain sites.

Cheers
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:58 PM