none
No updates in custom text field in Project Prof 2016 after update in Tasks center in PWA. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody!

I work in Project Server 2013 and Project Prof 2016 on-prem environment. September 2016 updates are installed for SharePoint and Project Server 2013.

1) I've created custom text field "Deviation
    Reason". Entity: Task, Type: Text. Set option: Roll down, unless manually specified.

2) Then I added this field ("Deviation Reason") in Project Professional 2016 view and entered for task1 "Test" in this field. Publish Project.

3) After that I opened Tasks center in PWA and see "Test" for Task1 in the field "Deviation Reason" (the field has been added in Tasks view previously).

4) Then I updated "Test" to "Test (updates)" in Tasks center and send task for approval. I approved Task.

5) Then I opened Project Professional 2016, but in the field "Deviation Reason" was still "Test", there were no updates from Tasks center in the field "Deviation Reason".

How to see updates in Project Prof for custom text field which were filled in Tasks center in PWA?

Thanks in advance,

Gleb Bocharov.

Friday, October 21, 2016 11:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

in tasks.aspx, users are changing fields on assignment level (the only entity they are allowed to change), these values can only be found in assignment views, like Task Usage view in client.

If you open your project in Project Professional 2016 (and 2013), you will see "Test (updates)" on assignemnet level after applying Task Usage view.

Imagine, you have to resources assigned to a task: one is entering "xxx", the other one "yyy". What would you expect on task level?

So a PM has to look at the assignment level to see entered data. If values can be evalueted by some logic (if you are using numbers), you could use a macro to get task level fields updated by values of assignment level (like sum or avarage). But there is unfortunately no way to do a kind of calculation using a formula.

Does that explain what you see?

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Friday, October 21, 2016 11:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

in tasks.aspx, users are changing fields on assignment level (the only entity they are allowed to change), these values can only be found in assignment views, like Task Usage view in client.

If you open your project in Project Professional 2016 (and 2013), you will see "Test (updates)" on assignemnet level after applying Task Usage view.

Imagine, you have to resources assigned to a task: one is entering "xxx", the other one "yyy". What would you expect on task level?

So a PM has to look at the assignment level to see entered data. If values can be evalueted by some logic (if you are using numbers), you could use a macro to get task level fields updated by values of assignment level (like sum or avarage). But there is unfortunately no way to do a kind of calculation using a formula.

Does that explain what you see?

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Friday, October 21, 2016 11:33 AM
  • Barbara, thanks a lot!

I found updates in Task Usage view in Project Professional 2016.

Issue is resolved.

Best regards,

Gleb Bocharov.

Friday, October 21, 2016 11:49 AM