Excel Template Displays Wrong/Old Info RRS feed

• Question

• We have a user who sends out a company-wide report using Outlook 2016 (v. 16.13 for Mac). He's working on a 21.5" 2017 iMac running OS Sierra v. 10.12.6

The email always distributes information/reports from the work week, and is generated via a template in Excel 2016 (Also v. 16.13 for Mac). The Excel sheet is password-protected, and the User uses a template and saves the document with the new information each time he generates a report.

On several occasions (and only with specific users, it seems - the two users who have reported the issue are also Mac users), these Excel sheets are reverting to old information from weeks (and sometimes months) ago.

This user's supervisor breaks it down best with the following description:

"Every Friday, (User) sends around those YouTube, SoundCloud and Spotify playlists with new music from our clients.
    Today I noticed that, when I went to check out the SoundCloud playlist, it took me to the playlist from March 30. Same with YouTube. At first I thought he’d just neglected to update the links or something, but we figured out that, while my mailbox thinks it’s showing me an email sent today, what’s actually showing up is the March 30 version of the email, and I don’t have any other editions more recent than March 16.

I logged into the Outlook webmail, and it was right toward the top of the mail folder I keep these updates in, with today’s time stamp on it in the message list, but when I actually open the message, it’s not today’s either — it’s from two weeks ago, May 4.

Eli uses an email template to send these, is it possible something about the template is causing this? Quite perplexing."

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:20 PM

All replies

• Hi bwinzek,

>> On several occasions (and only with specific users, it seems - the two users who have reported the issue are also Mac users), these Excel sheets are reverting to old information from weeks (and sometimes months) ago.

Do you mean when the issue occurred, some users received the correct messages while the two particular Mac users got the old version?
    Among the other recipients, are there any users who were working on Outlook for Mac?

Regarding the Outlook webmail, do you mean when the affected users check the problematic message in OWA, the version of the content is different from what they see in Outlook client?

To help narrow down the problem, I'd like to suggest try manually sending out the report instead of using the original template to check if the issue persists.

Any findings, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 25, 2018 8:57 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Yuki.

>>>>Do you mean when the issue occurred, some users received the correct messages while the two particular Mac users got the old version?

-Issue has occurred on more than one occasion (the user generating the Excel Report as well as the two recipients who reached out to him). No one else reported the issue, but since this gets distributed across employees at approx. 20 locations, I have no way of confirming for every recipient.

-One of the 2 recipients who reported this is his boss (quoted in my first post), who has experienced this issue at least 3 times.

>>>>Among the other recipients, are there any users who were working on Outlook for Mac?

- To my knowledge, one of the two users is on Mac Mail, the other is on Outlook for Mac.

>>>>Regarding the Outlook webmail, do you mean when the affected users check the problematic message in OWA, the version of the content is different from what they see in Outlook client?

-The time stamps and message body, specifically. As well as the attached Excel Sheet (also generated from a template).

>>>>To help narrow down the problem, I'd like to suggest try manually sending out the report instead of using the original template to check if the issue persists.

-I will suggest this to the user, but would like to stress that he needs to be able to use a template in order to generate all the necessary information and distribute it effectively, so a permanent solution that eliminates that ability will not suffice.

Thanks for your help with this!

-Brent

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:21 PM
  • Hi Brent,

Regarding sending out reports manually, I was meant to narrow down if the problem is related to the template which might be helpful to sort out the cause for the issue.

Besides, I noticed in your original post that the sender is running Outlook 2016 (v. 16.13 for Mac). Is this a recently occurred issue since he upgrading to 16.13? 
    What if the messages are sent on another machine?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 8:42 AM