none
dpm 2007 - hyper - v RRS feed

• Question

• hello, i im protecting 10 virtual machines(in two servers) from hyper-v 2008 with dpm 2007 sp1.

Some of then when they run the consistency check, the recovery point, synchronization the work fine but others doesnt

the error that i have is this:

The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation. (ID 30111 Details: Unknown error (0x80042308) (0x80042308))

i know that this error i can find it here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634205.aspx

but you can see that "Unknown error (0x80042308) (0x80042308)" is not the same as that issue

somebody knows what can i do?

• Moved by MarcReynolds Monday, February 21, 2011 1:09 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Friday, February 18, 2011 5:32 PM

Answers

• You really need to determine if there are VSS or Volsnap errors on the host and/or guest machine(s). Also if you're using a hardware VSS provider on the Hyper-V host(s) for CSV snapshots there may also be events from that source as well. Additionally, you'd want to use VSSADMIN.exe (VSSADMIN List Writers) to check the state of the writers on both the host and guest machine(s) to ensure that none are in an error or failed state. If the Hyper-V VSS writer is in fact in a failed state you can safely execute "net stop vmms" then "net start vmms" to clear the fault. Furthermore, if the same guests are always failing then try to determine what's unique to those (OS, configuration, etc).

Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by exitista Saturday, April 9, 2011 1:21 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 2:00 PM

All replies

• Is the latest version of the hyper-v integration tools installed on the virtual machines? 
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:29 PM
  • You really need to determine if there are VSS or Volsnap errors on the host and/or guest machine(s). Also if you're using a hardware VSS provider on the Hyper-V host(s) for CSV snapshots there may also be events from that source as well. Additionally, you'd want to use VSSADMIN.exe (VSSADMIN List Writers) to check the state of the writers on both the host and guest machine(s) to ensure that none are in an error or failed state. If the Hyper-V VSS writer is in fact in a failed state you can safely execute "net stop vmms" then "net start vmms" to clear the fault. Furthermore, if the same guests are always failing then try to determine what's unique to those (OS, configuration, etc).

Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by exitista Saturday, April 9, 2011 1:21 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 2:00 PM