Library server not seeing VHD's even though they are there. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had to move the SQL DB for my SCVMM because it was running out of space. I backed up my db, reinstalled the VMM and then restored the db.bak.

All seems to be OK except for one of my library servers. I have a whole host of templates and vm's stored in this server, yet every one of these states that the VHD is missing. The location of the VHD's is correct and the share permissions appear to be OK - but the VMM still says that the vhd's are missing.

As all this was working before I moved the database, can you give me some advice as to what the problem might be?

thanks 

Monday, October 4, 2010 11:30 AM

Answers

• Sorry, I have just seen that there was an upgrade to the VMM agent available which is what has been causing all of this. Simply resolved by running teh upgrade.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

• Marked as answer by bluegnu Monday, October 11, 2010 9:17 AM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 9:17 AM

All replies

• Do you see any error when trying to refresh this library server? Does the library-refresh job list any warnings? If not, could you share VMM traces with me. That will help in identifying what this issue might be.

posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all
    Monday, October 4, 2010 2:01 PM
  • In the SCVMM Library world, all of the elements except VHDs, scripts, and ISOs exist within the database - all o fthe profile and gust customization attributes for example.

The other than that happens is that the Library uses machine level authentication (not user level). 

You mentioned reinstalling VMM.  If you installed VMM to a different OS, then you have a new machine (even if the names are the same - the SIDs and GUIDs are not).

If your Library is remote from teh SCVMM server (or even local) - installing VMM on a new OS installation will break the machine level permissions, and they would need to be removed and re-added.

Possibly the Library would need to be removed and re-added.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Monday, October 4, 2010 2:49 PM
  • I have not changed the machine that the VMM is on, i just uninstalled it and reinstalled it as recommended on these forums. The OS, machine name and SID have not changed at all.

When I press refresh, everything comes back fine. I have noticed that I cannot deploy a template to my library either.

What traces is it that you want?

With regard to machine level permissions, how would I remove and readd these?

Monday, October 11, 2010 6:40 AM
  • Sorry, I have just seen that there was an upgrade to the VMM agent available which is what has been causing all of this. Simply resolved by running teh upgrade.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

• Marked as answer by bluegnu Monday, October 11, 2010 9:17 AM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 9:17 AM