none
Bitlocker encryption key not required on system restart

Question

• Bitlocker shows as if it is working, but it doesn't require an encryption key on restart. That's a problem I need to have fixed, please. Ever since I downloaded the notification for the Windows 10 upgrade, my computer has NOT been receiving other upgrade notifications either. I wonder if there was a bug from that installation. I thought it would help you to know my little history in hopes that you could help people like me who have experienced one or more of these issues. Thank you for your attention to this matter. ~ Burt
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 3:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Would you please share us more details of the issue? 

" but it doesn't require an encryption key on restart"
    Are you using the Bitlocker on the system drive and it didn`t ask for password when we restart the machine or something else?
    If that is the issue, please check the Bitlocker status by right clicking the drive.

"my computer has NOT been receiving other upgrade notifications either."
    Do you mean the machine didn`t receive updates anymore?
    If that is the issue, please try to update manually to have a check. Please check the action center settings : Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Change Action Center Setting

If I have missed anything or misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know that.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 7:07 AM

All replies

• For notifications you can check from Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\User Account Control Settings

UACs

Or type on search box UAC and when it will find User Account Control click on it.

And drag the scroll bar to up to be notified on system change if it's has down. 

For bitlocker encryption check the encryption method which you have selected when activated the BITLOCKER. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sincerely!

Khalid Garayev

* Please don't forget to mark as answer or Vote if it helps!

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 3:56 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please share us more details of the issue? 

" but it doesn't require an encryption key on restart"
    Are you using the Bitlocker on the system drive and it didn`t ask for password when we restart the machine or something else?
    If that is the issue, please check the Bitlocker status by right clicking the drive.

"my computer has NOT been receiving other upgrade notifications either."
    Do you mean the machine didn`t receive updates anymore?
    If that is the issue, please try to update manually to have a check. Please check the action center settings : Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Change Action Center Setting

If I have missed anything or misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know that.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 7:07 AM
  • By default, bitlocker does not require a password. Did you read about its internals before you encrypted?

It's called transparent encryption and uses a TPM security chip for key storage and unlocking. It could very well be that you simply have a computer with a tpm chip - then, you don't have to worry. If you want additional protection by setting up a preboot authentication, you will need to setup a PIN.

Look at your options when you rightclick the drive and select "manage bitlocker" and again look at your options when you are at the command line and type

manage-bde -protectors -add c: -?

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:56 PM