none
Project 2010 AutoSplit and Level RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a task that could take many hours. Although I would like to split this into many hours each day. This seems simple enough although I am not finding an easy way to do this in MS Project 2010. Attempting to split by mouse is tedious. I have defined my resource and allocated the task to the resource. From there I attempted to level and distributed but it does not do what I expected and it just rescheduled it. I suppose I don't have enough tasks yet for MS project to think correctly? I do have "leveling can create split in work" checked in leveling options as well. I also thought I could switch to task usage and define time per day; it appears duration and work time are two different entities. Is there anyway I can auto split and level or easily distribute the task in hours over many days? Please help

Thank you,
    Bryan
    • Moved by Max Meng Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:42 PM moving to a more appropriate forum (From:Office IT Pro General Discussions)
    Monday, January 16, 2012 3:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Bryan,

Would the use of recurring tasks help you any further?

If you only want a few hours per day, and it doesn't matter at what time they should be done, you could just create the task for the total duration and assign the resource with a lower value for the Units!

The leveling function is not created to "reorganise" your planned work in a way that you as a PM would define as "well-structured". It is a functionality that, in respect with the constraints you've added to the plan, will spread/level the planned work in order to avoid overloaded resources.

Regards
    Wim 

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:45 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you are working at far to low a level! If someone is working 20h per week on a task, simply assign them at 50% (half a 40 h week).

Auto Levelling is a dangerous beast. Remember your computer has an IQ of zero and for any software to do a good job of levelling you would need to enter so much information it would be significantly quicker to level manually.

For Auto levelling to have a chance of producing a reasonable job, your resources need assigning realistically and tasks need links to define relationships etc.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Hi Bryan,

Would the use of recurring tasks help you any further?

If you only want a few hours per day, and it doesn't matter at what time they should be done, you could just create the task for the total duration and assign the resource with a lower value for the Units!

The leveling function is not created to "reorganise" your planned work in a way that you as a PM would define as "well-structured". It is a functionality that, in respect with the constraints you've added to the plan, will spread/level the planned work in order to avoid overloaded resources.

Regards
    Wim 

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:45 PM