audiences RRS feed

• Question

• i have enabled audiences on a list, i added new item to it and made it to target owners, then i logged in with user contributor, and i still see the item, what's the problem with my audience?
    Friday, January 28, 2011 3:58 PM

Answers

• Audiences are not security.  In some web parts you can filter the contents displayed by the web part based on audience membership.  You can also change the visibility of some web parts based on audience membership.  But if a user goes to a list where they have at least Read access they will see all the items no matter how the audiences are assigned.  Audiences are designed to be used to filter information proactively for display, not to hide information for security.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Sunday, February 6, 2011 2:32 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 5:07 PM

All replies

• Audiences are not security.  In some web parts you can filter the contents displayed by the web part based on audience membership.  You can also change the visibility of some web parts based on audience membership.  But if a user goes to a list where they have at least Read access they will see all the items no matter how the audiences are assigned.  Audiences are designed to be used to filter information proactively for display, not to hide information for security.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Sunday, February 6, 2011 2:32 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Are you saying that if I turn on Target Audiences for a list and in a particular named view select the Target Audiences column for that view, it will not restrict display of an item in the list to the group added to the Target Audiences column?

Isn't it in essence a filtered view that shows that selected item only to the groups added?

I understand that under views that don't have that column active the restriction will not be applied but if it doesn't work for views where it is applied, what good is it?

Monday, February 9, 2015 4:32 PM