Relocation directories for faster OS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 3 partitions on my HD - C,D,L. My question is if i relocate some directories like My documents, Temp folder and may be the Program files folder, though I am not sure if this is possible, to L partition; installing all the programs also on L partition and keep the rest of my data on D partition will this make Widows xp to run faster and not getting slow with the time?

Thanks!
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:03 AM

All replies

• Sir, if you installed Windows XP on C: , I suggest you and also it's Recommended to install software in another partitions, and save your data into another partition to be more safe.

if you mean when you start your computer it takes more times you can disable the start up programs to login Faster into your computer.

To Disable Start up:

Start --> Run... --> msconfig --> startup --> Disable All --> ok --> Restart your computer.

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Emil - you can install the OS in C drive and yes you can save all your data and store program files on other drive. I really don't think this method will make windows XP work faster.

I suggest you to install all the applications on C drive, to make XP run faster defragment the C drive. Defragmenting the partition will arrange all the similar data and the OS can now find and read the data faster.

Regards, h9ck3r.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:38 PM