none
Lync 2013 - Move user command fails

Question

• Hello,

We have a multi-site Lync 2013 infrastructure, on one of the smaller sites (one Lync Pool and one branch site) we have an issue, that is, we cannot move users to the SBA, move command fails with following error:

Move-CsUser : Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) operation SetMoveResourceData failed. For details, see inner exception.

When the -Force parameter is used move does function.

I do not see any specific errors in the logs, Database replication looks fine, server has the correct group membership and the account running command also.

Searching through the web did not help either, would anyone have an idea about what to check ?

Thanks for your help,
    Luca

Monday, February 06, 2017 4:40 PM

All replies

• what does get-cspoolfabricstate output say about the target pool?

Monday, February 06, 2017 5:03 PM
  • Hi Luca,

Regarding this issue, please run the command line Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus from either the Front End server and SBA double check if the replication status is true.

Also, check if all needed ports between Lync FE server and SBA with the help of the link below:
    http://blog.ucmadeeasy.com/2011/04/26/deploying-a-lync-sba-watch-out-for-port-444/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 6:32 AM
  • Thanks Akabe,

Nothing that catches the eye , all seems to be correct.

Luca

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Thanks Alice,

Replication status is True, and ports are good actually there is no FW between the SBA and the pool and for testing purposes I have disabled windows FW on the devices, still the same result.

Luca

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 7:43 AM
  • This is normally a temporary error.You may try from different server or try from destination pool.Most of the time server restart solve the issue.If still not getting solved,run the deployment wizard once again and check

Jayakumar K

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 7:45 AM
  • Thanks Jayakumar,

Have done that too, did not change the result, move command still fails.

Luca

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 8:30 AM
  • Thanks Akabe,

Nothing that catches the eye , all seems to be correct.

Luca

Its interesting that -force works---> Are users able to sign in to Lync after the move request?

If you go to Configuration container in AD please verify the below attributes are correctly set on the affected Pool (CN=Pools,CN=RTC Service,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=main,DC=domain,DC=com

msRTCSIP-PoolDomainFQDN

msRTCSIP-PoolDisplayName

msRTCSIP-BackEndServer

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 9:02 AM
  • Yes, users can login after the force move, although, they lose their "Contacts".

Luca

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 12:07 PM
  • Yahh force switch removes the user's existing contacts

Is this issue specific to a single user or multiple?

If single it would be interesting to check the affected user's msRTCSIP-UserRoutingGroupId (probably before the move it would have a stale entry in it like a hexa value). Lync wouldn't know the existing routing group of the user and hence presented you with that error message

• Edited by Akabe Wednesday, February 08, 2017 12:16 PM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2017 12:15 PM
  • Somewhere i read that you force move to another pool.Then move back as normal and again move to target as normal.Which will save contacts.

Jayakumar K

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 1:43 PM
  • Hi 1Luca,

It could be a problem with the backup service or the Facric state on the pool.

Start with the following commands and it might lead you to the problem.

Get-CsFabricPoolState

Get-CsBackupServiceStatus

Datta

My Blog : http://www.theskypeguy.com

Note: If you find a post informative, please mark it so using the arrow to the left. If it answers a question you have asked, please mark the thread as answered to aid others when they are looking for solutions to similar problems or queries.

-------------------------------------------------------

The opinions expressed here are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 9:32 PM
  • Thanks Datta,

Actually the device is a Sonus SBC/SBA pair, and it is on the SBA component where we are experiencing the issue.

Here below a summary of the two commands, are you certain that the results are relevant on a SBA, I have the same result on other SBAs where I do not have the issue.

• Get-CsPoolFabricState -PoolFqdn sba-fqdn
      Get-CsPoolFabricState : Failed to connect to any machine in Pool sba-fqdn.
    • Get-CsBackupServiceStatus -PoolFqdn sba-fqdn
      Get-CsBackupServiceStatus : Backup service is not installed in cluster "sba-fqdn".

Regards

Luca

Thursday, February 09, 2017 3:55 PM
  • Sorry I wasn't clear enough. The commands have to be run for the pool the users are on right now. I am guessing that's the main pool.

My Blog : http://www.theskypeguy.com

Note: If you find a post informative, please mark it so using the arrow to the left. If it answers a question you have asked, please mark the thread as answered to aid others when they are looking for solutions to similar problems or queries.

-------------------------------------------------------

The opinions expressed here are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer.

Friday, February 10, 2017 12:55 AM
  • Hello Datta

Fabric State on the pool looks correct, no errors.

As for the Backup Service, it is not installed.

Regards,

Luca

Friday, February 10, 2017 5:56 PM
  • Hello,

Did you try to move the user to some other Front end pool and then try to move the user to desired pool?

Regards

S

Monday, February 13, 2017 8:39 AM