Azure publish package content RRS feed

• Question

• When I "publish" or "package" the Azure "cloud service" WCF that I have, does the publish or package actually include the source codes for my application or is just the binary that is getting published. Is there a way that Microsoft can see the code of my application? Is it safe to assume that the actual C# codes are not being published or be seen in the Microsoft server? If binary is being published, there is no way for a binary to be reverted back to source code right? I'm just trying to protect my intellectual property.
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:23 PM

Answers

• As Niel mentioned only binaries get published to azure. You can also enable remote login to your web role/worker role and see what's been published on to azure service roles. Microsoft has provided it's policy on protecting customer data and their assets. You can find details here.

However your dlls can be disassembled (any environment) to see the code. You can obfuscate your code to protect if you dont want to protect them from disassembling. Check this blog

Hope it helps

Please mark the replies as Answered if they help and Vote if you found them helpful.

• Proposed as answer by Veerendra Kumar Monday, August 27, 2012 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by df223a Monday, August 27, 2012 6:24 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 5:46 AM

All replies

• The package contains the assemblies compiled from your source. It is possible to decompile assemblies - however, there is no likelihood that Microsoft is going to violate your intellectual property by doing so.
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:43 PM
    Answerer
  • As Niel mentioned only binaries get published to azure. You can also enable remote login to your web role/worker role and see what's been published on to azure service roles. Microsoft has provided it's policy on protecting customer data and their assets. You can find details here.

However your dlls can be disassembled (any environment) to see the code. You can obfuscate your code to protect if you dont want to protect them from disassembling. Check this blog

Hope it helps

Please mark the replies as Answered if they help and Vote if you found them helpful.

• Proposed as answer by Veerendra Kumar Monday, August 27, 2012 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by df223a Monday, August 27, 2012 6:24 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 5:46 AM