none
DPM & IBM TS3100 tape drive auto clean RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Been using the above config for about a year and the autoclean setting on the IBM tape drive doesn't work. I've also tried disabling auto clean on the drive and setting it up through DPM, but DPM only shows 22 slots active and the cleaning tape is in slot 24.

Every fortnight my backups fail half way through writing to tape because the drive insists on having a clean.

Anyone know where I can start with this?

edit: I was just playing around, and disabling the I/O station has now allowed me to set the tape drive up to show all 24 slots. DPM now shows 23 slots but not slot 24 which has the cleaning tape in it.

Thanks,
    Blake

• Edited by Pesawat Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:45 AM
    • Moved by MarcReynolds Thursday, November 3, 2011 12:40 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I cannot help you with the IBM auto-clean feature not working, but DPM will not automatically clean a dirty drive, you need to clean it manually by right-clicking the tape drive, then select clean. That will pull the cleaning tape out of slot24 and clean the drive.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:43 PM