Finale 2014.5 and Sibelius 8.0 Causing DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a freshly installed Windows 10 Pro installation. I upgraded to Finale 2014.5 (music notation software) the other day and installed it. The install went smoothly. When you run Finale for the first time, it displays a Midi setup dialog. Whether I click Ok or Cancel, Finale chugs a bit more, then stops responding, and anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes later, windows 10 also freezes, followed eventually by the blue screen of death with the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

Before, trying any troubleshooting, I downloaded a 30 day free trial of Sibelius v8, a competitor to Finale. During the first run of the program the startup dialog indicated "Initializing playback" and during this time, the exact same thing happens as with the initial Finale run.

I have a Samsung 850 EVO 500 SSD. I installed the most recent version of Samsung magician, and upgraded the SSD to the most recent firmware version. No difference. I have an MSI GTX 760 video card. I upgraded to the most recent version of video driver. No difference. I reset Windows 10 back to factory defaults, and even had it erase all my files on the SSD. Then, before installing any program, not even antivirus, I reinstalled Finale. Same problem when it starts up.

I also tried going into Device manager, selecting IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, right-clicking on Standard SATA AHCI Controller, selected "Update Driver Software...", "Browse my computer for driver software", "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", selecting "Standard SATA AHCI Controller", then clicking "Next". After rebooting, same problem.

Running sfc /scannow revealed no system issues. I'm completely stumped! Can anyone help?

Brad

Sunday, December 27, 2015 6:37 AM

Answers

• Related to ha20x22k.sys Creative 20X2 HAL (WDM) from Creative Technology Ltd

Completely remove the current driver and install the newest driver available.  For instructions on how to do that Read all about updating drivers by my partner JMH3143 here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-hardware/updating-a-driver/a5e6345e-af9b-4099-bef0-8d22254aa1c1?tm=1436753520149

If you continue to crash remove Kaspersky

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.10586.567 AMD64
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Users\zigza\Desktop\122715-9484-01.dmp]
    Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

************* Symbol Path validation summary **************
    Response                         Time (ms)     Location
    Deferred                                       SRV*E:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
    Symbol search path is: SRV*E:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
    Executable search path is: 
    Windows 10 Kernel Version 10586 MP (8 procs) Free x64
    Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
    Built by: 10586.17.amd64fre.th2_release.151121-2308
    Machine Name:
    Kernel base = 0xfffff803`8227f000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff803`8255dc70
    Debug session time: Sun Dec 27 01:06:49.430 2015 (UTC - 5:00)
    System Uptime: 0 days 3:07:49.098
    Loading Kernel Symbols
    Loading User Symbols
    Loading unloaded module list
    *******************************************************************************
    *                                                                             *
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 133, {1, 1e00, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ctoss2k.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ctoss2k.sys
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ha20x22k.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ha20x22k.sys

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

• Marked as answer by Simply Noted Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Simply Noted Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Simply Noted Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:56 AM
    Monday, December 28, 2015 4:04 AM

All replies

• Could you upload the memory dump file for analyzing?

It should be located in the %SystemRoot%\Minidump or %SystemRoot% folder.

Sunday, December 27, 2015 12:06 PM
  •  
    We do need the actual log files (called a DMP files) as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
    If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

Sunday, December 27, 2015 12:13 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not able to post an actual link until my account is verified. Well, I'm not spam (though I tried eating it once!)

My dump file (and the output from msinfo32) can be found at the following link for one drive.

onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CC2054A4FE0BFE7D!419&authkey=!ABOZmC3mGO_OQZA&ithint=folder%2c

Thank you!

Brad

Sunday, December 27, 2015 4:57 PM
  • Related to ha20x22k.sys Creative 20X2 HAL (WDM) from Creative Technology Ltd

Completely remove the current driver and install the newest driver available.  For instructions on how to do that Read all about updating drivers by my partner JMH3143 here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-hardware/updating-a-driver/a5e6345e-af9b-4099-bef0-8d22254aa1c1?tm=1436753520149

If you continue to crash remove Kaspersky

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.10586.567 AMD64
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Users\zigza\Desktop\122715-9484-01.dmp]
    Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

************* Symbol Path validation summary **************
    Response                         Time (ms)     Location
    Deferred                                       SRV*E:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
    Symbol search path is: SRV*E:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
    Executable search path is: 
    Windows 10 Kernel Version 10586 MP (8 procs) Free x64
    Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
    Built by: 10586.17.amd64fre.th2_release.151121-2308
    Machine Name:
    Kernel base = 0xfffff803`8227f000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff803`8255dc70
    Debug session time: Sun Dec 27 01:06:49.430 2015 (UTC - 5:00)
    System Uptime: 0 days 3:07:49.098
    Loading Kernel Symbols
    Loading User Symbols
    Loading unloaded module list
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 133, {1, 1e00, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ctoss2k.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ctoss2k.sys
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ha20x22k.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ha20x22k.sys

• Marked as answer by Simply Noted Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Simply Noted Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Simply Noted Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:56 AM
    Monday, December 28, 2015 4:04 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your response. The problem definitely is related to my Creative Labs x-fi Titanium sound card. The first thing I tried was to disable the sound card. Immediately Finale and Sibelius both were able to run properly with no errors.

Second, I enabled the sound card, removed all drivers, rebooted, installed the windows 10 latest drivers for the card and rebooted. Unfortunately, the watchdog violation problem was back.

My Intel motherboard (DP67BG)  is 4 years old, and there are no windows 10 drivers available on Intel's site. So, I went to Realtek's website and downloaded their windows 10 drivers for the onboard audio on my motherboard. I enabled the onboard audio in the BIOS and I can now run Finale and Sibelius with "a" sound device, though not the one I wanted.

At this point, I figure it's either bug in Creative Lab's driver, or an issue with Windows 10 when it tries to interact with the driver for the particular function Finale and Sibelius want to execute when they start up. I'm leaning toward Creative Labs being the problem.

Sigh... and the decent ASUS sound cards are expensive!

I "am" thankful that I can now run my new copy of Finale. So thanks for your help! I couldn't have done it without you!!

Brad

• Edited by Simply Noted Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:57 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:56 AM
  • You might want to try installing the newest creative driver in compatibility mode

To install in compatibility mode do the following:

Right click the installer>properties>compatibility>choose OS

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows?SignedIn=1
    (works in  win 7, win 8, and win 10)

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:29 AM