none
Difference between IE 11 on Server 2008 R2 Ent SP1 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• hi, 

we're running a jboss web application that requires IE11, we use a mix of terminal servers and desktops. the web application runs very smoothly on windows 7 desktop but on Windows 2008 Server R2 SP1 (terminal servers) there is a noticeable delay when updating/running a task on the webpage via the browser. I have tested this on a virgin install, brand new server, Server 2008 R2 SP1 without joining to the domain or running any remote desktop services and it's slightly faster but not as quick as windows 7 PC. I would like to know if there are any fundamental difference using IE11 on win7 and server 2008 that may cause this behaviour. I have disabled all security options and added the site as a safe site but there is still a noticeable lag. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards

Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Server versions of IE run in 'Enhanced Protected Mode'..... basically the IE Security zone default settings are One Notch higher than those on a windows client running IE...the internet zone is High I/o medium High etc. Check the Security tab of Internet Options to see what 'Level' on the security slider is applied. File>Properties to determine which IE security zone your app maps to....

Possibly your app is automatically added to the intranet zone.... adding a domain to the Trusted sites list when it already maps to the intranet zone, slows down security zone resolution and eventually maps it to the Trusted Zone I/o the default intranet zone.

I am not too familiar with Remote TS... or how to set up a multi-user environment/account on a server...

When you start the remote session, do you see any messages... something like

"Applying GPO settings for ..... a list of ActiveX controls like Media Player, Office Addons etc... these settings are redundant and should be removed from the GPO settings... depending on your 'app' requirements (requires 32bit or 64bit ActiveX) or if it is a plugins/extension free app.

Rob^_^

Friday, November 28, 2014 12:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Server versions of IE run in 'Enhanced Protected Mode'..... basically the IE Security zone default settings are One Notch higher than those on a windows client running IE...the internet zone is High I/o medium High etc. Check the Security tab of Internet Options to see what 'Level' on the security slider is applied. File>Properties to determine which IE security zone your app maps to....

Possibly your app is automatically added to the intranet zone.... adding a domain to the Trusted sites list when it already maps to the intranet zone, slows down security zone resolution and eventually maps it to the Trusted Zone I/o the default intranet zone.

I am not too familiar with Remote TS... or how to set up a multi-user environment/account on a server...

When you start the remote session, do you see any messages... something like

"Applying GPO settings for ..... a list of ActiveX controls like Media Player, Office Addons etc... these settings are redundant and should be removed from the GPO settings... depending on your 'app' requirements (requires 32bit or 64bit ActiveX) or if it is a plugins/extension free app.

Rob^_^

Friday, November 28, 2014 12:04 AM
  • Hi,

I'd like to add that you can try to use Process Monitor to caputer the task running trace, then compare the difference between these two computer.

Access to the link below to download Process monitor:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

If there is any difficult using Process Monitor, please feel free let me know.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 28, 2014 3:09 PM