Action Center shows Microsoft Security Essentials as turned off RRS feed

• Question

• On Windows 7 RTM Professional, I am running Microsoft Security Essentials as my anti-malware program. Whenever I boot my PC up, the Windows 7 Action Center shows Microsoft Security Essential as "turned off". There is a button to "Turn o n Now". Clicking on this resolves the message.

I do not know if this is merely a reporting problem, or if my protection is indeed not loading on startup. I checked Autorun sysinternals and the .exe file is set to run at startup. I also checked the Microsoft Antimalware Service and this is set to automatic and is running as well.

I don't know if the problem is in Windows 7 or MS Security Essentials, but one of these is not playing nice with the other.
    Windows 7 RC dual booting with VISTA Home Premium 2 GB memory 160 HD Gateway Laptop HP Officejet 6310 All-in One inkjet printer Verizon FIOS Internet Connection
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 8:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding this, I suspect Microsoft Security Essentials may be corrupted. If it worked fine previously, you may try System Restore to get back to the good status.  

You can also repair Microsoft Security Essentials or just remove and reinstall it. After installing or repairing, please also apply the latest definition updates.

Note: If you want to reinstall it, please ensure that you have the installation package.

How to manually download the latest definition updates for Microsoft Security Essentials

Considering that we have specific support for Microsoft Security Essentials, if the issue persists, it is also recommended that you contact Microsoft Security Essentials Support for further investigation.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Anil Inampudi Monday, August 31, 2009 7:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, September 7, 2009 1:07 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding this, I suspect Microsoft Security Essentials may be corrupted. If it worked fine previously, you may try System Restore to get back to the good status.  

You can also repair Microsoft Security Essentials or just remove and reinstall it. After installing or repairing, please also apply the latest definition updates.

Note: If you want to reinstall it, please ensure that you have the installation package.

How to manually download the latest definition updates for Microsoft Security Essentials

Considering that we have specific support for Microsoft Security Essentials, if the issue persists, it is also recommended that you contact Microsoft Security Essentials Support for further investigation.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Anil Inampudi Monday, August 31, 2009 7:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, September 7, 2009 1:07 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:40 AM
  • I have tried all of the above, without any success. As far as I can tell, this has not worked since the MSE waqs upgraded, at least in my machine. I will try a full uninstall and reinstall, but I suspect that the first update will send down the newer version and re-create the problem.

Tried an uninstall and reinstall (note - I do not have access to the beta site - my original version was downloaded from Softpedia.com),  In any case, this was less than successful - when I tried to reinstall, the Security Center refued to start and I could not start the Service (error code 5). At this point, I used System Restore to go back to the point just before I did the uninstall.

One more point that I will add, which may or may not be relevant. At one point in the not so distant past, I tried installing my licensed version of Norton Internet Security 2009. Since I was running this in Windows 7, NIS installed a (defective) compatibility update which it later pulled back. I used the Norton Removal Tool to fully uninstall NIS (hopefully). I guess it is possible that this somehow corrupted the Action Center.

I have a separate partition on the same PC with the Win 7 RC and MSE which has never had NIS installed. Out of curiosity, I will boot into this partition and see if the same problem is present.

Went into my Win 7 RC partition. Had to run Win Update to get the newest version. Got is and rebooted (there were other updates out there).

Updated my virus definitions and rebooted again - just to be sure.

Action Center did not have the red "X" or any error messages. It didn't show the anti-malware or firewall information either, but had no error messages, so it would seem that the problem is confined to the RTM version on my PC (or maybe because of the NIS install).

Windows 7 Professional RTM dual booting with Windows 7 RC (using RC to test Office 2010 in a test environment) 2 GB memory 160 HD Networked Gateway Laptop HP Officejet 6310 All-in One inkjet printer Verizon FIOS Internet Connection
    • Edited by blegs38552 Monday, August 31, 2009 10:48 PM New info
    Monday, August 31, 2009 9:37 PM
  • I have been having this same problem, I noticed whenever I do not turn on my computer for a day , Microsoft Security Essentials is turned off.

So if I run my computer sat, sun, mon everything works fine. I would shut down for the night but start my computer up the next day.

Now if I do not turn on my computer on Tues. but I do on Wed. MSE is turned off. I have 2 computers running Win XP doing this.

I suppose I could leave the computers on so I dont have to turn on MSE and then update it, but maybe this is some glitch a programmer missed.

Hope it helps you 2 helps me find an answer

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:09 PM
  • I had the same problem and I think I may have fixed it.

Click on the START menu

Click on RUN

Type: services.msc

Press OK

In the next box that comes up, scroll down to the services called "Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator"

Double click on it

Change the startup type from Manual to Automatic

Then click on the RECOVERY tab

Set all the failure recovery actions to "Restart The Service"

Click APPLY then OK

Restart your computer and Security Essentials should turn on by itself now.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:48 PM
  • I noticed that Security Center within services.msc was set to "automatic (delayed start)", I set it to automatic.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 2:48 PM