none
MS PROJECT 2010 INTERFACE TO EXCEL 2010 PIVOT TABLE REPORTS RRS feed

• Question

• WHEN I RUN A VISUAL REPORT IN MS PROJECT 2010 - BASELINE COST REPORT- THE CORRECT PROJECT NAME DOES NOT COME ACROSS FROM PROJECT TO THE 2010 EXCEL PIVOT TABLE/CHART.  THE NAME OF THE REPORT IN CHART VIEW IS THE NAME OF THE FIRST REPORT I RAN REGARDLESS OF THE  NAME OF ANOTHER  PROJECT.  I HAVE USED MS PROJECT 2010 & 2007.  I HAVE CHECKED FOR THE NAME IN THE 2007 PROJECT FILE (PROPERTIES >SUMMARY>TITLE; CAN'T FIND SUMMARY TAB IN PROJECT 2010).  ALL OF THE NUMBERS HAVE BEEN GENERATED CORRECTLY BASED ON DIFFERENT INPUT MS PROJECT FILES.
    Monday, November 7, 2011 3:53 PM

Answers

• Joseph,

The properties dialog is on the right side of the Info screen:

When you right click on the file name you are getting the Windows properties - not the Project file properties.

Using Project 2007 will not work and interface with Excel 2010.  Using a compatible file type (2003-2007) and working it through Project 2010 will (or should) work with Excel 2010.

By default, the bar labels - or the bottom axis - (not the legend) are the summary tasks from the project file.  You can change these on the Assignment Usage tab.  You can also change the legend names if you wanted but I'm not sure why you would want to.

If it is not proprietary, you can send me the project file and I can take a look at it.  Send it to the following address:

richieg(at)consulting.ky

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:26 AM

All replies

• JIT2:

To find the summary tab in the properties dialog box, select FILE>INFO>PROJECT INFORMATION>ADVANCED PROPERTIES.

As to the problem (the name on the report), the template has the name of the report (baseline cost report) at the top and the Project Name (from the properties dialog) at the bottom.  I cannot duplicate the problem you mention.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Monday, November 7, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Thanks for the speedy response!

I am not pointing to the Title of the Stacked Bar report, Baseline Cost Report.

What about the labels on the stacked bar report? Do the prefixes for the bar labels change when you change the title in the Properties>Summary>Title?

Also I have tried the navigation you suggest, but when I go to File>Info I only have the option Organizer.

If I right click on the 2010 project file and select properties>I only have the option for General or Security I can' access (see) Summary>Title to change the title if necessary.

If I do a right click on project 2003-2007 compatible file I have access to the Summary tab and can see the title of the report.  Even if I change the report name in Project 2007, however, it doesn't come through when I interface it to EXCEL 2010.  The report still has the labels from the 1st stacked bar report I have run with EXCEL 2010.

Is it possible I have an issue with EXCEL 2010 when interfacing from MS Project 2010?

I have used a friends' MS Project 2007 and EXCEL 2007 with the same file and the title agrees with his Properties>Summary>Title (including a changed title).

Additionally, I have installed MS Office SP1. 

JIT2

Joseph F Kennedy
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Joseph,

The properties dialog is on the right side of the Info screen:

When you right click on the file name you are getting the Windows properties - not the Project file properties.

Using Project 2007 will not work and interface with Excel 2010.  Using a compatible file type (2003-2007) and working it through Project 2010 will (or should) work with Excel 2010.

By default, the bar labels - or the bottom axis - (not the legend) are the summary tasks from the project file.  You can change these on the Assignment Usage tab.  You can also change the legend names if you wanted but I'm not sure why you would want to.

If it is not proprietary, you can send me the project file and I can take a look at it.  Send it to the following address:

richieg(at)consulting.ky

Regards,

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:26 AM