none
SetSharedDpmDatabase crash with error RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

I upgraded Windows server 2012R2 to 2016, and then DPM 2012R2 UR11 to DPM 2016 RTM.

Before upgrade, Installer asked me to remove library sharing database settings. So I removed them by commands:

SetSharedDpmDatabase.exe –RemoveDatabaseSharing

AddLibraryServerForDpm.exe –DpmServerWithLibrary LIBRARY_SERVER_FQDN -remove

But after upgrade I try to run SetSharedDpmDatabase and it crashed with error in KERNELBASE.dll (apps log) and .Net .

I found some sql scripts in "DPM folder\ setup\DB\" and in DpmSetup.log I found commands to connect library.

For example:

"c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\SQLCMD.EXE" -b -r -d DPMDB_BLK_DPM_029d0a02fc_8da4_4e25_be0b_6261994b9d93 -i "c:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\Setup\DB\SharedLibraryLinkedServer.sql" -S blk-dpm-02 -v ClientSqlInstance="blk-dpm-02" GlobalSqlInstance="BLK-DPM-01"

But after running all these scripts - DPM console crashing if I try to open Management panel. It says that Database in inconsistent state.

So I revert it all back from backup and now all in the state before Upgrade.

How to fix it or make GlobalLibraryDatabase manually connect by scripts?

Sunday, January 22, 2017 12:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a known code defect in DPM 2016 and the fix will be available in the upcoming Update Rollup-2.  I understand the urgency in getting the library sharing working again, so please open up a support case and ask for a private fix to unblock you.  You will not get charged for the support ticket since it's a known code defect.  Also, please be sure to install DPM 2016 Update rollup-1  as it has other important fixes and is required for the private library sharing fix to work.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 23, 2017 4:27 PM
  • We have UR2 installed but are experiencing simmular issue. This is a server upgraded from DPM 2012R2

Faulting application name: SetSharedDpmDatabase.exe, version: 5.0.158.0, time stamp: 0x579a1ac0
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x582588e6
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000017788
    Faulting process id: 0x1b94
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2885ddb678361
    Faulting application path: c:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\Setup\SetSharedDpmDatabase.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 54b05053-2f21-478b-90ed-d679c3aad578
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

Trying to check if that fix was included in UR2, I don't see it listed in the KB.

In the meantime, can you look in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\DPM\DPMLogs\dpmsetup.log file and look at the bottom to see if you have an error like below.

[12/12/2016 12:26:18 PM] Information : [ChangeStoredProcs] entered
    [12/12/2016 12:26:18 PM] Information : [ChangeStoredProcs] validate global db entered
    [12/12/2016 12:26:18 PM] Information : [ChangeStoredProcs] calling replace strings()
    [12/12/2016 12:26:18 PM] Information : [ChangeStoredProcs] Share linked server entered
    [12/12/2016 12:26:19 PM] Information : [SetSharedDpmDatabase.ValidateGlobalDb] Entered.
    [12/12/2016 12:26:20 PM] Information : [SetSharedDpmDatabase.ExecuteScript] Entered.
    [12/12/2016 12:26:20 PM] *** Error : Initialize the SQLSetUpHelper Object

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:32 PM
  • Yes we have the error in our log: 

[16.02.2017 10:10:27] Information : [SetSharedDpmDatabase.ProcessArguments] Args =  -removedatabasesharing
    [16.02.2017 10:10:40] Information : [SetSharedDpmDatabase.ConfigureClientSqlServerForRemovingDbSharing] Entered.
    [16.02.2017 10:10:40] Information : [SetSharedDpmDatabase.ConfigureClientSqlServerForRemovingDbSharing] RemoteSQL Case.
    [16.02.2017 10:10:40] Information : [SetSharedDpmDatabase.ExecuteScript] Entered.
    [16.02.2017 10:10:40] *** Error : Initialize the SQLSetUpHelper Object
    [16.02.2017 10:10:40] *** Error : Initialize the SQLSetUpHelper Object

Friday, February 17, 2017 6:48 AM
  • We installed UR2, and application error with setshareddpmdatabase.exe has gone.

But after all library sharing add operations, Library Client Server console crashed with error:

Looking for fixes...

Update: I found my previous post with fixes: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cdc2f3d5-2790-4af5-9cb4-863d37321a87/library-sharing-troubles?forum=dataprotectionmanager

But now when I try to open Management area in DPM console on Library Client Server, then console crashed with error:

Everything else is working fine. Looking for fixes...

So, after few remove and re-add shared library procedures, I maked Library Client Console works again in management panel.

But when I try to do something with tapes - Library dissaperaing from console until I make Rescan.

In DPM Application Logs I found some errors:

Library drive Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-6 drive (HU14020R4H) in Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based) is not functioning and library jobs may fail until the drive is repaired.  The drive is not functioning for the following reason:
     (ID: 3303)
    Drive Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-6 drive (HU14020R4H) in Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based) is not zoned properly (ID: 24088)

So I removed sharing again :(

I found some errors in DPMSetup.log during Library Sharing add operations:

*** Error : Initialize the SQLSetUpHelper Object

I think it is the reason of the problems.

Any suggestions?

Friday, February 17, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

I did confirm that the fix is indeed included in UR2 and the original problem was that setshareddpmdatabase.exe would crash immediately and the last entry in the dpmsetup.log would be that sqlsetuphelper error entry.   It seems you are seeing a different problem now. 

What version of SQL Server are the DPM 2016 servers using and are they both local SQL install or using a shared instance ?

Please check the version of inspect.dll , present at “C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\DPM\DPM\Setup”.

Friday, February 17, 2017 10:37 PM
  • Hi, Mike.

Yes, the version of file is the same: 5.0.322.0

Bouth DPM servers use local instances of SQL database and same SQL versions: SQL 2014 SP2 CU3 (12.0.5538.0).

Maybe something in library sharing procedure changed?

Monday, February 20, 2017 5:22 AM
  • Hei

The version of inspect.dll is 5.0.322.0. And the file is placed in 2012 R2 folder.  This is an upgrade server form 2012 R2.

SQL is 11.0.6248 and is an local SQL instance. 

\ Torstein

Monday, February 20, 2017 7:53 AM
  • Hey, Tornstein!

What is your problem with DPM and libraries right now?

Monday, February 20, 2017 9:44 AM
  • Hi

AddLibraryServerForDpm.exe Works fine.

When we tries to run: SetSharedDpmDatabase.exe -databasename servername\mssqlserver\dpmdb_servername

SetSharedPDMdatabsase.EXE stops working With following error Message:

Unhandled Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Value ca
    nnot be null.
    Parameter name: input
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.SetSharedDpmDatabase.SetSha
    redDpmDatabase.GetSqlCmdPath()
    redDpmDatabase.ExecuteScript(String sqlScriptFileName, String instanceName, Stri
    ng scriptVariablesString, UserCredential remoteAdminCredential, Boolean isClient
    )
    redDpmDatabase.ValidateGlobalDb()
    redDpmDatabase.Main(String[] args)

Also in: DPMSetup:

[20.02.2017 11:17:50] *** Error : Initialize the SQLSetUpHelper Object
    [20.02.2017 11:17:50] *** Error : Initialize the SQLSetUpHelper Object

\ Torstein

Monday, February 20, 2017 10:22 AM
  • Torstein,

Is UR2 installed correctly? Maybe something wrong with it installation? UR2 solved same problem for us, but we get new problem with library actions from DPM-Library-Client.

When we try to do something with Tapes, the Library dissaper from DPM Console, and returns back only after manual Rescan. And in EvntVwer we found some errors:

Library drive Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-6 drive (HU14020R4H) in Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based) is not functioning and library jobs may fail until the drive is repaired.  The drive is not functioning for the following reason:
    Drive Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-6 drive (HU14020R4H) in Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based) is not zoned properly (ID: 24088)

Library drive Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-6 drive (HU14061369) in Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based) is not functioning and library jobs may fail until the drive is repaired.  The drive is not functioning for the following reason:
    Drive Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-6 drive (HU14061369) in Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based) is not zoned properly (ID: 24088)

Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based) could not be contacted. All jobs for Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based) will fail if the connection is not established.
     (ID: 3301)
    Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based) connected to blk-dpm-01.stk.local  is offline as none of its drives are available. (ID: 24089)

The detailed inventory of tape failed for the following reason: (ID: 3316)
    DPM could not reserve the drive resource because one of required drive resources is not online or it needs cleaning or servicing. (ID: 24052)

Monday, February 20, 2017 10:48 AM
  • Hi

We have opened a ticket With Microsoft that are confirming that this is the same bug that occurred before UR2. Wil keep you posted.

\ Torstein

Monday, February 20, 2017 12:26 PM
  • Torstein,

We also opened ticket about our "Client-Server Library problem". I'll type here the news.

Monday, February 20, 2017 12:39 PM
  • So, the problem was solved by a piece of advice from MS.
    We disabled "Medium Changer Device" on Library Client DPM Server.

Monday, March 13, 2017 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

Okay, but I guess if you do that you will lose the medium changer? Or did you disable the library to remove the database sharing and after that you reenabled the changer device?

Thanks

Monday, March 13, 2017 5:53 PM
  • Beside that, it does not work. Again I got the error "Value cannot be null", if I'll try to remove the database sharing.

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:53 PM
  • Hi,

Disabling the medium changer device on the client DPM server is a requirement.  That is step 4 in the steps.

Set up tape library sharing

• On all DPM servers check that the SQL Server (MSDPM2012) and the SQL Server agent (MSDPM2012) services use a domain account for logon and not a local account (default setting). The domain account should be a member of the local Administrator group.

• Enable the Named Pipes protocol for the SQL Server instances on the library server and client. Then restart the SQL Server service.

• On the library server, enable the medium changer in Device Manager.

• On the library client, check that the medium changer is not enabled. Check that tape drive devices are visible and enabled.

• To configure DPM servers to use a shared library run the following commands on the DPM library server:

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:56 PM
  • I want to remove the library sharing. I think the dpm setup did it enable automatically because the system sees the same changer two times. The reason is the redundancy in the fibre channel backend.

In the past we had the problems with dpm2012r2 and after we disabled the library sharing, it worked without issues.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Did anyone get to the bottom of this?  I just upgraded to DPM 2016 UR2 from DPM 2012 R2 and SetSharedDPMDatabase still errors out with the same line in the setup log, and the "Null Value" line in the console.  

Best, Jacob I'm a PC.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:51 PM
  • I installed SQL 2014 TOOLS is it got worked in my case.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:09 PM