Save "Sort By" Folder Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 explorer is not remembering the folder settings. Every time I click out of a folder and back my "sort by" is changed to the default alphabetical order. It's very annoying since I have to go through multiple steps to cget it to sort by "date modified" every time I click out of a folder. is there a workaround this? Even Windoes Vista didn't have this problem!
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 7:20 PM

Answers

• Since modifying the registry improperly may cause damage to the system, better backup the registry first.

Note: change to the proper order before performing the following fix.

Run the following registry file. Copy this text into a Notepad file. Save it as 'all files', so you can add your own extension. Name it something like Fix.reg ... it will appear as a registry file that merges with the registry.

------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
    "BagMRU Size"=dword:00004e20

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]
    "FolderType"="NotSpecified"
    --------------------------

It will warn you, press yes, files merge. IMMEDIATELY reboot, all registry changes like this need reboot to take effect.

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, December 11, 2009 9:47 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:44 AM