Wont Recognize "bootable cd" RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install xp on my laptop and I have prepared it accordingly (separate partition etc.) but the cdrom will not recognize any bootable cd. Obviously when i try to install directly from the cd, Vista will not allow an older operating system.

I have tried taking out the hard drive from tht bios boot order and it just keeps searching the cd for a cd.

here is my system information

Any help appreciated Smile

P.S. would cd or a dvd make a difference?

Processor
    (2)Intel #6fd, 2000 MHz
      BIOS
    Phoenix Technologies LTD R01-A1R (94.31.00) 04/18/2008
      Memory
    3072MB physical
    90% free resources
    2 memory slots, 0 free (1024+2048)
      Video
    Graphics Adapter: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    Screen Area/Colors: 1440x900 pixels, 16 million colors
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
      Drives
    C:\ (NTFS) 205592MB total, 127627MB free
    D:\ (NTFS) 12880MB total, 5212MB free
    E:\ CD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD Drive
    F:\ (NTFS) 19999MB total, 19909MB free
    G:\ CD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD Drive
    H:\ CD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD Drive
    Z:\ Remote network
      Network and Modem
    (modem) Agere Agere Systems HDA Modem
    (net) Realtek Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
    (net) Intel Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    (net) Microsoft isatap.mshome
    (net) Microsoft isatap.{30943E48-7C1D-4F3A-B223-6F5F0144D031}
    (net) Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
      Operating System
    Windows 6.0.6001 6.0.6001 SP1 (Windows 6.0.6001 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1)
    Original setup date: 6/7/2008
    DirectX Version: 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
    SWAP FILE DISABLED
    File cache managed by Windows

CD and DVD Drives
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L632H ATA Device (6/21/2006)
    PUJ 30PEJ4HE SCSI CdRom Device (6/21/2006)
    PUJ 30PEJ4HE SCSI CdRom Device (6/21/2006)
      Hard Drive Controllers
    Intel ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828 (6/21/2006)
    Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850 (6/21/2006)
    ATA Channel 0 (6/21/2006)
    ATA Channel 1 (6/21/2006)
    ATA Channel 0 (6/21/2006)
    ATA Channel 1 (6/21/2006)
      Hard Drives
    WDC WD2500BEVS-22UST0 ATA Device (6/21/2006)
      Input Devices
    Microsoft HID-compliant mouse (6/21/2006)
    Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad (1/18/2008)
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard (6/21/2006)
    Friday, October 24, 2008 7:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Dutchcanuck,

Thank you for posting.

Before moving on, I would like to share the computer boot process for you.

When the computer's power is first turned on, the CPU initializes itself and look to the system's ROM BIOS for its first instruction in the startup program. Then, if the BIOS does not detect a battery failure, it then continues to initialize the CPU, checking the inventoried hardware devices. If all components are functioning properly, BIOS will look for an OS to load. The BIOS setting (Boot Sequence) tell computer where to find OS. If the first boot device failed, computer will continue to try the OS on second device.

You said, the computer cannot recognize any bootable CD, we can consider the issue is not a Windows Vista problem since the Windows Vista haven’t boot before it. Even if you wipe the hard drive clean, the issue may re-occur. Given the situation, I strongly suggest you check the Boot Device Sequence in BIOS setting. Thank you for your understanding.

I also noticed you are planning wipe the hard drive clean and install Windows XP. Please understand that the forum is mainly focus on Windows Vista problem troubleshooting and question. Could you please let me what reason lead you made a decision to downgrade to Windows XP? Please understand that Windows Vista is a new operating system and contains many new features and technologies. If the issue is occurs on software side, I think troubleshooting and resolving the issue is better way than downgrade to Windows XP.

Thank you.

Monday, October 27, 2008 10:52 AM

All replies

• Hi

Have you set the CD Drive as the first boot device? This is needed to boot from a disk.

Also, just to make sure you are aware of all the pitfalls with installing XP after Vista has been installed when setting up a dual boot system, review the following tutorial on the subject.

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots:
    http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm?page=1

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 1:10 AM
  •  

thanks for your suggestion but I have tried every combination in the bios. I dont like vista and would rather use xp can I just wipe the hard drive clean and install?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:33 AM
  • user="Dutchcanuck"]

thanks for your suggestion but I have tried every combination in the bios. I dont like vista and would rather use xp can I just wipe the hard drive clean and install?

The problem appears to be with either the optical disk drive or the BIOS. I doubt that formatting the hard drive would have any effect on the problem.

All of these functions that are not working take place before the BIOS hands the boot process over to the installed operating system.

If the laptop is still under warranty, I would suggest contacting the manufacturers support. They may be able to track down where the problem is coming from.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Hi Dutchcanuck,

Thank you for posting.

Before moving on, I would like to share the computer boot process for you.

When the computer's power is first turned on, the CPU initializes itself and look to the system's ROM BIOS for its first instruction in the startup program. Then, if the BIOS does not detect a battery failure, it then continues to initialize the CPU, checking the inventoried hardware devices. If all components are functioning properly, BIOS will look for an OS to load. The BIOS setting (Boot Sequence) tell computer where to find OS. If the first boot device failed, computer will continue to try the OS on second device.

You said, the computer cannot recognize any bootable CD, we can consider the issue is not a Windows Vista problem since the Windows Vista haven’t boot before it. Even if you wipe the hard drive clean, the issue may re-occur. Given the situation, I strongly suggest you check the Boot Device Sequence in BIOS setting. Thank you for your understanding.

I also noticed you are planning wipe the hard drive clean and install Windows XP. Please understand that the forum is mainly focus on Windows Vista problem troubleshooting and question. Could you please let me what reason lead you made a decision to downgrade to Windows XP? Please understand that Windows Vista is a new operating system and contains many new features and technologies. If the issue is occurs on software side, I think troubleshooting and resolving the issue is better way than downgrade to Windows XP.

Thank you.

Monday, October 27, 2008 10:52 AM
  • I finally got my problem solved. Thanks to all who helped. I am finally running XP Pro (a stable operating system) and have had to find drivers for my Laptop.

I must admit that it seems totaally unfair that I purchase a laptop (With Vista) and wish to put XP on it (Registered copy) and I hit all these roadblocks. I Own this laptop and should be able to put whatever system I want on it.

The main problem has been that when I insert the  XP disk a message tells me that I cannot install because it is an older version. This is a Vista problem that should be rectified.

Monday, November 17, 2008 11:44 PM
  • Hi

The main problem has been that when I insert the  XP disk a message tells me that I cannot install because it is an older version. This is a Vista problem that should be rectified.

There really isn't much that can be done about this. XP is an older system and was developed long before Vista. There is no way that you can make an operating system 'future compatible', since nobody can predict what will happen in the future.

I'm glad you were able to get the operating system of your choice installed.

Enjoy.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:28 AM
  • I also need to go 'backwards' and I am getting the same problem of not being able to boot from anything older than the Vista (and subsequently Windows 7) neither of which work satisfactorily.
    Is there a boot disk image out there which can cope with the new file system and allow me to scrub the hard drive clean so I can start again with XP Pro?
    Has my BIOS been written to and 'claimed' by Vista/Windows 7?

I agree with Dutchcanuck that this is my nice new hard drive and PC and no lame software should be able to hijack it.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:47 PM