Mail delivery issue in Outlook 2013 since user updated iPhone??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hopefully this is the correct forum for this:

One of my users recently started experiencing delivery issue in Outlook 2013. She would see new mail arrive on her iPhone but would have to click send/receive in the Outlook desktop app for the mail to be delivered there. The thing is, this only started to happen after she updated her iPhone 8 to iOS 13.1.2, but no other changes were made anywhere else. 

My first though was that was merely a coincidence, so I set up a test laptop with her profile and launched Outlook. Sure enough NEW mail isn't delivered unless you click send/receive. No other user is experiencing this issue. I actually have the exact model phone and at the same iOS version and do not experience this issue. 

So to check if that was in fact the issue we removed her Exchange email account from her iPhone and sure enough that resolved the issue. 

The only change had been updating iOS to the current version. No Outlook or Exchange changes and nobody else is seeing this issue in my org

Anybody else experience this?? I've seen issues in the past with contact not syncing properly but never with mail delivery

Thank you

Manning

Monday, October 7, 2019 4:04 PM

Answers

• Thank you for replying. 

We removed the mail profile from the iPhone as I mentioned and it appeared to clear up the issue. After a couple hours we put the users profile back on her phone and it was been working correctly since. The curious thing is why would a corrupt profile on an iOS device interfere with proper automatic mail delivery to a Windows 10/Outlook 2013 desktop client???

Manning

• Marked as answer by if52 Friday, October 11, 2019 3:08 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Manning,

>> So to check if that was in fact the issue we removed her Exchange email account from her iPhone and sure enough that resolved the issue. 

It seems that the issue is related to the iOS 13.1.2. To check again, please try removing her Exchange email account from her iPhone and configure it on a iPhone with earlier version and test again.

If the issue can't be reproduced, then you may need to wait for a new iOS version release or convert the iOS to a earlier version. Besides, it is also suggested to post a thread in Apple's forum and see if you can get some imformation.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:01 AM
  • Thank you for replying. 

We removed the mail profile from the iPhone as I mentioned and it appeared to clear up the issue. After a couple hours we put the users profile back on her phone and it was been working correctly since. The curious thing is why would a corrupt profile on an iOS device interfere with proper automatic mail delivery to a Windows 10/Outlook 2013 desktop client???

Manning

• Marked as answer by if52 Friday, October 11, 2019 3:08 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:28 PM
  • Hi Manning,

I'm glad to see you have fixed your problem and thanks for your sharing:)

>> The curious thing is why would a corrupt profile on an iOS device interfere with proper automatic mail delivery to a Windows 10/Outlook 2013 desktop client???

This is a very weird issue, it has no reason to interfere Outlook client. Perhaps there are some synchronization problems in it, and I have not encountered similar problems like this before.

By the way, do you mind helping mark your post above as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:43 AM
  • Hi Manning,

Could you please kindly mark helpful replies or your own reply as answers? By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue.  Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Friday, October 11, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Hi Manning,

Could you please kindly mark helpful replies or your own reply as answers? By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue.  Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Sure, I marked my reply as the solution, but it doesn't really answer the question - Why would a corrupt profile on a device, in this case an iPhone impair a desktop client's ability to receive email automatically?

Manning

Friday, October 11, 2019 3:10 PM