none
DPM 2012 SP1 with Quantum Superloader 3 LTO-5 HH RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am running DPM 2012 SP1 with a Quantum Superlaoder 3 and LTO-5 HH Library.

It is connected to a Dell 6GBps SAS HBA card. Orginally was in a Dell Poweredge Server and the Quantum was freezing/locking up on idle

Have set up on a test machine running Windows Svr 2008 R2 Std Sp1

DPM2012 SP1 see's the library but will not see the LTO-5 tapes in the drive.

Nothing I do will get DPM2102SP1 to see the tapes. This is a brand new unit and I have verifed with extensive testing on the library itself that it works perfectly. The issue is with DPM2012SP1   Please help !!!!!!

Friday, March 15, 2013 2:56 PM

All replies

• Host server is Windows Svr 2008 R2 Std SP1 x64

with Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA card.

Quantum Superloader 3 Autoloader (L700) firmware v90, Driver QLTOx64.sys

Library LTO-5 HH, Firmware 3180

Friday, March 15, 2013 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

Please download and run the DPMtapeLibraryCompatibilityChecker tool from the following link.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=885774776d4f197a&sc=documents&id=885774776D4F197A%21128

For Tape Library
    ================

Run the following command to list the libraries attached to the system:

DPMLibraryTest.exe /Certify /LL

Run the following command, where \\.\Changer# is the symbolic name of the tape library to test from the output of the /LL command.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Changer0 /ST 1 2 4 5

Description of the tests.

Test 1: Basic Configuration
    This test will scan your system for attached devices. It will identify the libraries and the stand-alone drives attached to your system and give you a summary of what it finds. For each device, you will see a Device Name, Serial Number, Vendor Name, Product Name, Firmware Revision and SCSI properties.
    At the end of this test, the user must verify whether all the information as seen by the tool. If the information is incorrect, check the following:
    • Check if all the devices are listed in Device Manager.
    • Ensure that the drivers for the devices are up-to-date.
    • If the drive mappings are incorrect, use the DPMDriveMapping.exe to correct the mappings. If you do not have DPM installed on the computer, copy the DPMLA.xml that DPMDriveMapping.exe creates to the folder to which you extracted the Tape Library Certification tool.

Test 2: Mount/Dismount
    This test will pick a tape from the first available slot and perform a mount/dismount of that tape to/from a drive.

Test3: Drive Cleaning
    A cleaner cartridge in needed for this test to run. Please read the pre-requisites section for this test. If you are using Firestreamer or a VTL where you cannot remove/change tapes, please use the /ST flag of the tool to skip the cleaner test.

Test4: I/E Media
    This test will pick up the first available tape and move it to the I/E port and back. If your library/VTL does not have I/E ports the tool will automatically skip the test.

Test5: I/O
    This test will pick up the first available writable tape and write a few buffers to it and try reading what is written. The purpose of this test is only to check for reading/writing ability.  Any specific/transient errors in any drive have to be inspected using the Advance Mode.
     Warning
    This test will overwrite information in the tape. Ensure that the first available tape does not have important data on it.

Once complete, the LibraryTestTool-*-Curr.errlog files located in the directory you ran the tool from will detail any problems running the tests.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 15, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Mike,

Thank you for the response. DPM is seeing the Quantum SL3 LTO-5 as a stand alone drive so therefore all the DPM tools fail.

I have ran all the tools available and they all fail. The server sees the SL3 just fine. here is the results from  the Library test

Standalone DRIVE 0

Device name  : \\.\Tape2147483646

Serial number: HV1247TC85

Vendor Name: Duantum LTO 5 Tape Drive

Device Product Name: Quantum

Firmware: 3180

Device SCSI Props: <P,B,T,L> 1,0,4,0

SO as you can see DPM see's the Drive just fine, but will not see any tapes in it. I have 5 brand new Barcoded (by quantum) LTO-5 tapes in slots 1-5 and then a cleaning tape in slot 8.

Friday, March 15, 2013 5:34 PM
  • also if acct was verified i have screenshots available. I also have all the ERR LOGS available.

This is driving me insane. Please help

• Edited by JDLIBRA75 Friday, March 15, 2013 5:37 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Hi,

Try running the DPMDriveMappingTool.exe utility from <DPM Install>\Bin folder.

Remapping Tape Drives
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795782.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 15, 2013 6:55 PM
  • I have. I have ran all utils for DPM. Drivemapping fails

No tape Library Found.Drive mapping Failed. Error Code is: 0x80004004

Like I had mentioned. It is being seen as a stand alone drive and not a library.

Friday, March 15, 2013 7:05 PM
  • Manual Mapping in the xml file has been done also. DPM just ignored it.
    Friday, March 15, 2013 7:06 PM
  • OK,

Then that means you don't have the medium changer driver installed. In device manager make sure the medium changer is not sees as "unknown medium changer" - if that is what it says, then you need to install compatible Windows drivers for that device.

Friday, March 15, 2013 8:17 PM