Migratiing WSUS into SCCM RRS feed

• Question

• Recently we implemented SCCM 2012 and want to shift all our clients from the existing WSUS standalone installation to Configuration Manager.

Is there a simple to import all the existing updates and client info from WSUS to SCCM?

We use GPO presently to point the clients to the right location so it will just a change of that to amend where the clients report into.

Thanks

Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no way to import which updates you have approved and so on from WSUS to ConfigMgr.

It normally doesn't make any sence to migrate the WSUS database content as the configuration will be overwritten by the ConfigMgr2012 configuration and you will still have to download and deploy all updates in configuration manager as the content is handled differently.

I would start from scratch with a new fresh installation of WSUS and use it with Configuration Manager 2012.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:50 AM
  • I agree with Jorgen, It is always better to start fresh with WSUs. If you use the setting within WSUS and CM12. The clients can get confused and you end up with odd results.

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:13 PM

All replies

• it is possible by following some steps:

1: start wsusutil on the wsus server

2: start the export - wsusutil export <path\file.cab> export.log

3: check the logfile and copy the cab file(s) to the sccm server

4: on the sccm server start the import - wsusutil import <path\file.cab> import.log

Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

There is no way to import which updates you have approved and so on from WSUS to ConfigMgr.

It normally doesn't make any sence to migrate the WSUS database content as the configuration will be overwritten by the ConfigMgr2012 configuration and you will still have to download and deploy all updates in configuration manager as the content is handled differently.

I would start from scratch with a new fresh installation of WSUS and use it with Configuration Manager 2012.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:50 AM
  • I agree with Jorgen, It is always better to start fresh with WSUs. If you use the setting within WSUS and CM12. The clients can get confused and you end up with odd results.

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:13 PM