none
Journaling not working in Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup a Journaling Rule in Exchange 2007 and it is not Journaling and I'm stumped.  This is not my first go with Journaling, but it has always just worked before (I've set it up on Exch210 before but not 2007).  The rule is setup to Journal one specific user to a mailbox called Journal Test, brand new mailbox.  Everything seems to be setup in the rule correctly, the mailbox works, I set the Journaling agent to have first priority, I made sure the Journaling agent was enabled, I restarted message transport.  Nothing in event viewer that I could find, just no messages in the Journal Test inbox.

I was thinking of disabling the Journaling Agent and then re-enabling to see if that has some effect.  Does anybody else know how I should go about troubleshooting this?  Maybe I forgot something or there is somewhere else I should look for answers, a log or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, June 3, 2013 5:44 PM

Answers

• Actually, I thought I had explained it pretty well up above.  Guess I didn't.  Sorry about that.  I setup the Journaling Rule as normal.  The rule was enabled.  The Journaling agent was enabled.  The Journaling agent was set to priority 1.  No transport rules that would interfere, only one other and that was for a privacy policy for internal users.  I did restart message transport.  Journaling mailbox tested fine.  No stuck messages in queue.  Checked message tracking logs and nothing was going to the journal mailbox.

I did resolve.  I had to disable the Journaling Agent and re-enable it then restart message transport services.

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:19 PM

All replies

• It's hard to say without knowing what it is you did.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 1:18 AM
  • You'd have to post what you did  ... but here's some ideas:

• is the Journaling rule enabled?
    • is the Journaling Agent enabled ("get-transportagents" on a hub server) ?
    • is there for example a transport agent rule that might be intefering? run "get-transportagents" on a hub server to get a list of agents and their priority
    • is there a problem with the journaling mailbox itself? can you send an email to it? open it? no quotas or other restrictions like sender?
    • are there stuck journal messages in your queue's? 
    • check your message tracking ad look for messages sent to your journal mailbox
    • restart Transport Agent / HUB server

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 12:16 PM
  • and? ...
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Actually, I thought I had explained it pretty well up above.  Guess I didn't.  Sorry about that.  I setup the Journaling Rule as normal.  The rule was enabled.  The Journaling agent was enabled.  The Journaling agent was set to priority 1.  No transport rules that would interfere, only one other and that was for a privacy policy for internal users.  I did restart message transport.  Journaling mailbox tested fine.  No stuck messages in queue.  Checked message tracking logs and nothing was going to the journal mailbox.

I did resolve.  I had to disable the Journaling Agent and re-enable it then restart message transport services.

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:19 PM