none
Microft Project quick access tool bar - yellow bell arlert icon RRS feed

• Question

• There is a yellow bell indicator with MS Project that is named Alert. 

How is this used / applied.  I've tried to link to tasks / various task information to no avail.  Is it "Active" in any fashion ? 

I'd surmise one could indicate that if a task is not accomplished on time then the resource (person) responsible would receive an alert notice ... similiar to alerts that are generated by Sharepoint functionality.

Ralph

Friday, May 20, 2011 4:31 PM

Answers

• Yes, I have tested and yes it does work.  As indicated by Dale earlier, it does not work correctly in all installations.  Why some work and some don't, I don't know.  I do not run Project server.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Ralph,

First you will have to create the tasks and resources; then add the email address field to the Resource sheet and confirm that you have entered a valid email address; allocate the resource to the task or tasks. Then display the Tracking toolbar, choose the task and click the Set Reminder button. After doing that it should pop up a Set Reminder dialog box where you can stipulate how long before the Start of the task you desire to add the reminder. Look at the task list and the "To-Do bar" to see the reminders.

But a word of caution : People often ask for such functionality initially; then when provided it they abandon it due to frequent mails everytime reminder meet its criteria sometimes frequent mails are treated as Spam too or people themself define rule to mark such mails. So think before you work on this option.

Sapna S
    Friday, May 20, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Sapna,

I very much appreciate your response.

Indeed, I have created the tasks, and among the resources, I have me (thus a valid e-mail address) allocated to several tasks. 

I have displayed the task tracking and other views ,yet the set reminder (small) bell remains "greyed" out nor the  alert (larger yellow) bell do not offer any dilog box. 

Thus I am still unable to set reminders from within Project (2010).

Reverted to setting reminders one by one using the Project Server list risks / issues /tasks, etc. feature.

Appreciate any other thoughts ?

Ralph

Friday, May 20, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Ralph --

This is an old feature from earlier versions of Microsoft Project, but it does not seem to work in either Microsoft Project 2007 or 2010.  Since you are using Project Server 2010, however, you can set up Reminder e-mail messages for your team members in the Manage My Resources Alerts and Reminders page in the Personal Settings page of PWA.  Have you tried that yet?  If not, give it a shot.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, May 20, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Dale,

Thank you.

Yes I have and those notices are what we are using.

In that regard, we have also linked the notices to LYNC (previous communicator) to initiate on line meetings.

...as is sometimes stated ... older features work better than newer ones.

Ralph 

Friday, May 20, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Hmmmm.  Unless I'm missing something (entirely likely), the Set Reminder works a treat in both Project 2007 and Project 2010.  I am working with the following setup:

Windows 7 Ultimate - Project 2007 Pro SP-2 - no server - Outlook 2007

Windows 7 Professional - Project 2010 Pro - no server - Outlook 2010

In both products -- it adds a Task to my Task List and sets a reminder on the task prior to the due date.

Julie

Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Julie --

It doesn't work for me.  Believe me, I have tried.  :(

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Saturday, May 21, 2011 11:53 PM
  • You must not have the secret touch, Dale :-)
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 1:14 AM
  • I have  done what you have said. Everything is fine, but I have one more  question. I have created tasks in my Outlook task list, is it possible  affecting tasks in MS Project from changes in Outlook? For example, I have created tasks in MS Project and  set reminder so tasks are created at the owner of the tasks's Outlook. When they track task in Outlook does it affect my MS Project tracking? If it is possible I can monitor delays is MS Project and send reports to managers.. Is it so imaginable?

Thank you very muchh...

Friday, February 17, 2012 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid not.  Once you use "set reminder" to send the tasks to Outlook -- there is no connection between the Outlook and Project task.  Changes in Outlook do not affect Project and changes in Project do no affect Outlook tasks.

I believe the closest you could come would be to use SharePoint as an intermediate step.  Publish the Project plan to a sharepoint list and then connect the Sharepoint list to the users Outlook.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Friday, February 17, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Thank you very much Julie,

I have one more question. Is it possible to set reminder to other computer's owner Outlook(who is resource in my project and e-mail adress has been assigned) without Project server and Sharepoint?

Thank you for your response...

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Hello,

The "Set Reminder" button (if working) sends the reminder to the resource who is assigned to the task as long as there is an email address associated with the resource in Project.

I believe there are a number of third party (not from Microsoft) products that also have the integration.  See:

http://project.mvps.org/comprods.htm

for a list to get you started.

Julie

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Thank you Julie;

Although I have assigned different Outlook e-mail adressess, the task and reminders are just created in my Outlook not in the resource's Outlook. Am I wrong? or is there a problem? (I donnot have Project Server and Sharepoint)

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:47 AM
  • You're welcome.  If the Set Reminder is working correctly, it should sent a reminder to the assigned resource.  If you look at each resource, have you added their email address in the email address field in the Resource Information form?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:19 PM
  •  Yes, I am sure that I have written in the resorce sheet in e- mail adress box. If I had done something wrong, the reminder could not come to my own  Outlook. My manager told me they are working as local so they can just send reminders where project is  created but in many web pages they tell me the same thing as you have said. Do you have MS Project without server? and have you tried it?

Thank you for your response,

Seda

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:23 AM
  • Yes, I have tested and yes it does work.  As indicated by Dale earlier, it does not work correctly in all installations.  Why some work and some don't, I don't know.  I do not run Project server.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:48 PM