Vista hangs on crcdisk.sys when adding 2nd RAID Array RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have Vista Ultimate 64 installed on my machine.  My machine has worked pretty much perfectly for the last while.  My installation is on my Raid 0 array.  I just bought 3 new western digital 500gb drives to setup a Raid 5 array.  I installed them, enabled Raid on those 3 Sata channels, and setup my array in my mediashield during the bootup process but then windows hangs at the crcdisk.sys in normal bootup and safe mode.  I tested out many things such as only enabling one drive for raid and what not.  The only way it boots with the 3 disks attached is if I disable raid in the bios on those 3 sata ports.  Once in windows, it recognizes all 3 disks and allows me to setup them up.  My bios is up to date, my nvidia nforce drivers are all up to date, the 3 drives are good.  It is just that one change in my bios that is messing this all up.  If anyone can offer up some solutions or workarounds that don't involve formatting and reinstalling, I would appriciate it.

Asus Striker II Formula - 1802 bios revision

Intel E8400 - Dual Core - 3.0 ghz

2x 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 6400

2x nVidia 8800GTS 512mb (G92) sli

2x 500gb western digital AAKS in raid 0

trying to add 3x 500gb western digital AAKS in raid 5

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:20 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Before going any further, please go to the following hyperlink http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/ to check both the raid hardware device and driver are compatible with Windows vista OS.

The problem can be caused by corruption of some system files. Since you are unable to get into the system in either safe mode or normal mode, you might perform the following steps to delete or rename those files.

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt

7. Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and rename pcmcia.sys to pcmcia.old

8. Navigate to: c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\ and rename pcmcia.inf_xxxxxxxx to pcmcia.inf_xxxxxxxxold

9. Type "chkdsk /F C:" (without quotation marks) and click Enter.

10. Restart the computer and have a test.

Hope it works!

Friday, December 5, 2008 8:47 AM