none
Assignment not updated after project published - Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I have an issue with the update of assignments for many projects.

We have to make some corrections on projects (unactivate tasks). For that, each project was open with Project Pro, the tasks have been unactivated which generate some schedule changes (what was expected). Then the project was saved and published (all tasks have a 'published' status to YES).

And Projects and Users and automatic approval+publish turned on.

The status and the date in the PWA view shows 'published' and 'daydate' which was ok. We did not control every projects and assignments as it seemed to be ok.

But my customers called us and it appears that all the assignments touched by the changes in the projects are not updated.

I saw this proposal http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/dace0f66-ce25-406a-b3ea-db26845ea9e7 from Brian Smith.

I tried it, it works. But it is much too heavy to do for all the project (150).

In this post, Brian said "Certainly just changing the Default Assignment Owener will not update any existing tasks or assignments", is it true for all updates for a project ? I mean what are the changes that are "allowed" to update assignments ? I thought a schedule change was enough, but it seems it is not the case.

Many thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Best regards

Anne Renaud

Anne Renaud Project Manager PMP Vision 2 Action SA Switzerland

• Edited by AnneV2a.ch Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:54 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Anne,

you could try to do a Full Publish of the project(s) using ProjTool (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/gg446880(v=office.14).aspx).

I would try with just one project to see, if it helps.

Kind regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT
    SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany, http://www.solvin.com

Friday, January 11, 2013 4:06 PM
  • Hi Christoph,

Thanks for the link, but I only get a 404 error.

After further analysis, it seems that the issue is on the Queue management.

As the projects were published almost on the same time, i assume the Queue process "decided" that the "Skipped for optimization" status was the soluce.

I can't understand how a change like a new planification can just be skipped by the system. It is one of the most important information that the team need and it just disapeared.

The problem is that the project status in on "published" with the right date eventhough nothing has been updated on PWA. How can we be certain that all the data on PWA are updated and synchronized with Project Pro after a publish action ?

Kind regards

Anne

Monday, January 14, 2013 12:53 PM
  • I'm not sure the other thread you refer to is exactly the same scenario Anne.  I think we need more information on exactly what was updated and what you expected to be changed and needed re-publishing.  Queue management and skipped for optimization action is reliable and just avoids doing the same thing twice.  A publish job just publishes what is in the draft database - the publish queue job doesn't actually have the changes.  Also a publish will not process until a save is complete.

Might be a good idea to publish everything just to be sure - and Paul's response at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-PH/projectserver2010general/thread/8b906919-48fe-45ce-9562-2541a9da4e3e may be easier for you if ProjTool isn't connecting correctly.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:19 AM
    Owner
  • Hello Brian,

Thank you for the answer.

What was done sepparately on the projects is an inactivation of one task. That inactivation changed the schedule of other tasks, which is ok.

Then each project was saved and published. And the status and date of the project in the Project center page show the latest date and published.

But it appeard that the assignment on the rescheduled tasks were not updated, that means the people didn't get their 'right' assignment.

For the "publish everything", I'll have to wait for my colleague who has the expertise for that part.

Best regards

Anne

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:11 AM
  • Hi,

We did the 'Publish everything' last week. It worked. All projects and assignment were published and the dates are now ok.

But it appears that the problem remains as a project was updated and published (from Project Pro) and there is a diffrence between Project Pro and the web version Again ! The project is announced as 'Published' but it is not the case.

I can't understand why a 'Publish action' does NOT push the new datas in the 'Published' and 'Reporting' DB as no error is return in the Queue.

Have you any idea ?

Many many thanks in advance

Anne

Monday, January 28, 2013 4:06 PM
  • I am using Project Server 2010. I edited, saved and published a project but the changes didn't show in the project centre. Yet when I open the project in MS Project it shows the changes.

It seems as if it is the same problem that you reported. Did you manage to solve it?

• Edited by HFprojects Monday, June 3, 2013 8:20 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 7:51 AM