locked
exchange 2010 email delay around 30 minutes RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have recently upgraded our Exchange 2010 servers to SP1.  About a week later, after things seemed fine, I applied the February 2011 security updates to the system.  Early afternoon, the next day, we started having issues with our transport servers queues being backed up around 30 minutes on average before sending the emails out.  When I look at the Queue Viewer, I see the queue showing a 421 4.3.2 Service Not Available message.  Once I restart the Transport Servers, after a couple of minutes, the mail starts flowing again.  I have uninstalled the February updates that would uninstall from our two transport servers.  The only update that would not uninstall was 976902, it doesn't give me an option to uninstall.  I uninstalled the updates on Friday night and about 1pm on Monday I was notified of the delay in email again. 

    I don't think this is an SP1 problem per se, but since I removed the updates, its the only thing left.  I'm thinking this might be only internal email flowing that has an issue but I can't confirm that at this time.  Any ideas you guys might have on trying anything?  Restarting the transport service seems to fix the issue as well as restarting the server (obviously) but I just can't figure out what's left to check.  It worked fine before the SP1 and updates, it works fine after the transport service is restarted.  I don't believe this is a configuration error but I'm open to suggestions.

    • Edited by rickalot Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:14 PM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:32 PM

All replies

  • Rickalot,

     

    I recently had a similar problem with my MSExchangeTransport service. Take a look at this hotfix, it may solve your problem as well. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2467001

     

    This hotfix is a in the Exchange 2010 post SP1 rollup 2 which can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2425179

     

    Monday, February 28, 2011 11:48 PM
  • Thanks for the hotfix, unfortunately I applied the rollup 2 to the transport servers, and when I came in this morning, its still doing the same thing.  I think I'll contact Microsoft and open a ticket.  Maybe someone has other ideas but this is really baffling.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:13 PM
  • I'll try to push this as answered in case it comes up, but I'm waiting right now to believe its working.  Worked with Microsoft PSS, after trying various things which didn't make a difference, the last "fix" we did was edit the hosts files on the two transport servers to use IPV4 addresses to communicate with the mailbox servers.  We also edited the hosts files on the mailbox servers to use IPV4 addresses to communicate with the transport servers.  I can only speculate that something with SP1 in conjunction with recent Windows updates caused some IPV6 communication issues.  IF this is the problem.  But so far, 24 hours later, we're still working.  Will update after my vacation, to confirm, IF this fix continues to work.
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:51 PM