none
Use Group Policy to Delete Browsing History Subcategories RRS feed

• Question

• I want to configure the Internet Explorer clients in my organization so that Delete browsing history on exit is configured.  I also would like to enable the Preserve Favorites website data and Temporary Internet files and website files settings so that the former are preserved and the latter deleted.  Here is an image showing my goal:

I see that I can configure the Delete browsing history on exit setting via a GPO, but I'm not sure how to configure the other two settings.  I've run Process Monitor on my computer in hopes of identifying registry keys that I can modify via a script, but I wasn't able to identify any.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

• Edited by xX Bane Xx Friday, September 5, 2014 4:14 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 4:11 PM

Answers

• Roger,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not 100% clear on the meaning of your reply, but I think I understand the gist of it:

I understand how to uncheck the two ("Cookies and website data" and "History") manually.  My goal, though, is to enable "Delete browsing history on exit" via group policy, then check (enable) the "Preserve Favorites website data" and "Temporary Internet files and website files" check boxes via group policy.

I've used a GPO to enable the "Allow deleting browsing history on exit" setting (Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Delete Browsing History), but this isn't enforcing the "Delete browsing history on exit" setting.

For the setting: " Allow deleting browsing history on exit ":

This policy setting allows the automatic deletion of specified items when the last browser window closes.
    The preferences selected in the Delete Browsing History dialog box (such as deleting temporary Internet files cookies history form data and passwords) are applied and those items are deleted.

If you enable this policy setting deleting browsing history on exit is turned on.

If you disable this policy setting deleting browsing history on exit is turned off.

If you do not configure this policy setting it can be configured on the General tab in Internet Options.

If the "Prevent access to Delete Browsing History" policy setting is enabled this policy setting has no effect.

NB: this setting does not appear to provide detailed option setting for each of the sub-options within the "Delete Browsing History" dialog box, so I think it is delete-all. This may not suit your requirements?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In my opoinion, you can choose to enable these two policy to achive your goals, because IE default delete settingsis the former four option is checked. Therefore, just disable another option should be helpful to your requirement.

Here is following policy name, please have a try:

Prevent deleting websites that theuser has visited

Preventdeleting cookies

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:04 AM
  • Roger,

I'm not 100% clear on the meaning of your reply, but I think I understand the gist of it:

I understand how to uncheck the two ("Cookies and website data" and "History") manually.  My goal, though, is to enable "Delete browsing history on exit" via group policy, then check (enable) the "Preserve Favorites website data" and "Temporary Internet files and website files" check boxes via group policy.

I've used a GPO to enable the "Allow deleting browsing history on exit" setting (Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Delete Browsing History), but this isn't enforcing the "Delete browsing history on exit" setting.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Roger,

For the setting: " Allow deleting browsing history on exit ":

This policy setting allows the automatic deletion of specified items when the last browser window closes.
    The preferences selected in the Delete Browsing History dialog box (such as deleting temporary Internet files cookies history form data and passwords) are applied and those items are deleted.

If you enable this policy setting deleting browsing history on exit is turned on.

If you disable this policy setting deleting browsing history on exit is turned off.

If you do not configure this policy setting it can be configured on the General tab in Internet Options.

If the "Prevent access to Delete Browsing History" policy setting is enabled this policy setting has no effect.

NB: this setting does not appear to provide detailed option setting for each of the sub-options within the "Delete Browsing History" dialog box, so I think it is delete-all. This may not suit your requirements?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:28 PM