none
Selective DNS forward RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I've setup OpenDNS router wide Windows Server 2016 + DNS (without DHCP which is handled by router).

Clients are able to ping the server and join AD once I change their p rimary DNS to the server's alloted IP. Now before this setup, I was able to bypass  OpenDNS for some computers after changing computer's DNS to Google DNS but after I setup Windows Server all the traffic is now routed to OpenDNS rendering many websites for top management blocked.

I've tried changing the primary to Google DNS and secondary to server's IP but this results in broken link with the server and all home-folders getting disconnected.

Is there any on the Windows Server itself to bypass reroute DNS requests for WAN from some clients to Google DNS without de establishment from the Server itself.

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi ngrhd,

>> Is there any on the Windows Server itself to bypass reroute DNS requests for WAN from some clients to Google DNS without de establishment from the Server itself.

Generally, we configure a forwarder for local DNS server to forward DNS requires to external DNS servers outside that network.

DNS server - set forwarders to google (8.8.8.8)

If you want to no establishment in server itself, you could configure a public DNS server for local DNS server. But it cannot resolve intranet IP.

>> OpenDNS router

It seems like a third-party hardware. We are not familiar with it. You could contact the vendor for more help.

Best Regards

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 9:30 AM
  • Hi ngrhd

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 8, 2017 8:30 AM