got no icons on screen and no start button RRS feed

• Question

• i need help i carnt get control panel as well
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:48 AM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Monday, September 21, 2009 9:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm when the issue began to occur. Have any new program or hardware installed on the computer?

Here are some suggestions to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1: Start the computer in Safe Mode and create a new user account

a. Reboot your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

b. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

c. Log onto Windows.

Can you see the Start button and access Control Panel successfully? If not, please let me know. Otherwise, please proceed to the next steps.

d. To create a new account, please go to Control Panel -> View by: Category -> Add or remove user accounts -> Create a new account.

e. Then, please restart the computer to Normal Mode and see if the issue occurs in this user account. If not, we can transfer the personal files to this account to resolve the issue.

Step 2: Perform a System Restore

You can try System Restore by going to Start, type System Restore in the search box, choose System Restore, click Next, choose the date you would like to restore to (which shall be the date before the issue occurred) and then complete the wizard.

What's the result?

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, September 28, 2009 2:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm when the issue began to occur. Have any new program or hardware installed on the computer?

Here are some suggestions to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1: Start the computer in Safe Mode and create a new user account

a. Reboot your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

b. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

c. Log onto Windows.

Can you see the Start button and access Control Panel successfully? If not, please let me know. Otherwise, please proceed to the next steps.

d. To create a new account, please go to Control Panel -> View by: Category -> Add or remove user accounts -> Create a new account.

e. Then, please restart the computer to Normal Mode and see if the issue occurs in this user account. If not, we can transfer the personal files to this account to resolve the issue.

Step 2: Perform a System Restore

You can try System Restore by going to Start, type System Restore in the search box, choose System Restore, click Next, choose the date you would like to restore to (which shall be the date before the issue occurred) and then complete the wizard.

What's the result?

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, September 28, 2009 2:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:07 AM
  • IF you start up task maanger do you see explorer.exe in the processes tab?

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!
    - JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:38 PM