none
Is there a group which allows access to DPM Admin Console RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In my environment, we have couple of people who have admin rights on the DPM Server. these rights are given to accomplish various things which need admin access.

We need that the access to the DPM Admin console is only provided to specific members of a group (say DPMAdmins). We don't want all sysadmins to be able to operate DPM Admin console because they may accidently overwrite production data.

when I go into the groups of the machine which has DPM, I dont' see any specific group which grants access to do DPM Admin Console stuff.

Monday, August 1, 2011 10:52 AM

All replies

• I might be wrong but as far as I know in DPM 2010 you are not able to restrict access to DPM console. If I remember correctly from talks from MMS 2011 in DPM 2012 it will be possible.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 11:39 AM
  • As sroe said in DPM 2010 you can't restrict the access to the console only to specified users.

All Local Admins will be granted the rights to DPM Management Console.

In DPM 2012 you will be able to do granular rights management.

Monday, August 1, 2011 12:18 PM
  • I played around a little bit and I found that If I right click on properties of the DPM Admin Console, I can go into security and then assign people who have rights to DPM Admin Console.

This is not solution because its a all or nothing deal.... but for the time being can be a solution for having a subset of users who have access to the exe.

Do you think this will work?

Also  a friend of mine said that using something called Azman, we can define policies in XML as to who can do what in the UI. Is this true? has anyone tried it?

Monday, August 1, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Not a good solution because anyone with local admin rights can easily change file security.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 3:51 PM