none
Project Cache size limit exceed RRS feed

• Question

• Using Microsoft Project 2016 Professional and connected in company Project Server PWA. and I'm facing an issue on Project Cache size limit exceed, started during this week.

Following the instruction, it is not possible to clear the Cache file:

As a recommendation, they suggested to delete the cache file, but my concern is related to PWA used at the company.

If I delete the global[1] file, it will affect any project stored at company Project Server?

Thanks,

Breno

Friday, January 26, 2018 11:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Breno,

Removing the Global files won't have an impact on the existing project plans, however I don't believe this will fix your cache issue either.  The cache for each user can be found at %appdata%\Microsoft\MS Project\16\Cache, and you should be able to safely remove all files from that folder.  Note the version number of the product is denoted by the number where 16 = Project 2016, 15 = Project 2013, 14 = Project 2010, 12 = Project 2007.

Microsoft skipped 13 because it was deemed unlucky!

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Friday, January 26, 2018 12:06 PM
  • Hello,

What is the "Cache size limit (MB)" that you have set for Project? You can check this in Project using File > Oprions > Save.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Friday, January 26, 2018 1:19 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for you help! I will try to remove it right now.

Friday, January 26, 2018 3:37 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I've set 150MB, change to 600MB and currently the cache is consuming 1.1GB.

The weird situation is this size of the cache increasing since the last update.

Breno

Friday, January 26, 2018 3:43 PM
  • 150 MB is too small to set as the limit but I'm surpised that your current cache is 1.1GB. How many projects / PWA instances do you access?

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Friday, January 26, 2018 6:14 PM
  • I agree that 150MB is too small at this time, I will set the default to a value around 600MB. Nowadays we have 8 projects at PWA, and efffectively accessing 3 of them.

Monday, January 29, 2018 1:48 PM