How to Trace or Log why Aero appearance option suddenly disappeared ? RRS feed

• Question

• We have some HP EliteBook 6930p with 4 GBs with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 with 128M Dedicated Video Memory. New and quite strong.

Using Vista Enterprise 32bit SP2.

AERO worked great !

One day, without any seeable cause, AERO disappeared any cannot be retrieved via “color and appearances”.

What haven’t we done ?

1.       Updated ATI drivers

2.       Of course using 32 bit color depth

3.       Tried ‘Rundll32 dwmApi #102’

4.       Updated the score (graphics 4.1)

5.       Removed any recent installed software

6.       Restarting with no services or with no startup programs (MSCONFIG)

7.       Restarted DWM and themes like a million times

8.    .....

We had this problem once before, nothing helped till we had to reimage the machine which solved the problem.

NOW, MY QUESTION IS:

Is there a way to debug the reason windows chooses  not to display the option ?

Or a tool that shows the pre-checks windows runs, or the real reason its not showing ?

Please help.

Thanks.

Friday, May 29, 2009 2:31 PM

Answers

• Unbelievable.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Get this:

Two weeks ago I call our helpdesk to get help with something. They used NETMEETING to control my computer. Netmeeting disables AERO and supposes to get it back when you are done. After this session I was not been able to use AERO again (haven’t realized this connection then). Of course after quitting Netmeeting AERO should have come available again.

Today I called the helpdesk again, and again they used Netmeeting again to solve an issue. Guess what happen when I closed the NM session ?

Bang. AERO was back on.

To conclude – its seems like a bug in the mechanism of locking AERO availability. NM failed to unlock in on its first exit and it does not unlock itself for some reason…

• Marked as answer by avnergid Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:47 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:46 PM

All replies

• Here are a few things to try:

1. Sometimes simply going to Control Panel > Classic View > Performance Information and Tools solves the problem. If there is new hardware, just click ‘Refresh Now’ or ‘Update my score‘.
    2. Right-click the Desktop > Personalize > Windows Color and Appearance > open Classic Appearance. Is Aero highlighted? If not, click it and Apply > OK, etc.
    3. Right-click Computer > Properties and under Tasks select Advanced System Settings (Continue if UAC is enabled) > Advanced Tab then Settings alongside Performance. Visual Effects Tab contains a list of Options, are they all ticked?
    4. If you have upgraded from XP to Vista, you may have to download the driver for the graphics card and run the Windows Experience Tool to rectify the problem. This is done by going to Control Panel > Classic View > Performance Information and Tools and click ’Update my score’.

Friday, May 29, 2009 6:18 PM
  • thanks, BurrWalnut !

walked all through that, nothing helps.

why aren't they expose some error log messages ?

how can that be debugged ?

thanks.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:08 AM
  • ANYONE ??
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

In common, to troubleshoot issues related to the Windows Aero feature, we can visit the following websites for methods.

You may experience issues with the Windows Aero feature on a Windows Vista-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945000

Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/c33fe91a-9e6f-41f4-ae82-3ed2d5fa2fbf1033.mspx

Meanwhile, we usually can perform System Restore to retrieve Windows Aero if you own a restore point when computer run Windows Aero perfectly. Thus I would like to suggest that you create a system restore point in case of this issue.

By the way, as you mentioned above that you want to trace Windows Aero appearance, this behavior may need to analyze and debug related files. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in this forum. So if you want to get assistance for debugging, I recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS). To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:03 AM
  • Unbelievable.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Get this:

Two weeks ago I call our helpdesk to get help with something. They used NETMEETING to control my computer. Netmeeting disables AERO and supposes to get it back when you are done. After this session I was not been able to use AERO again (haven’t realized this connection then). Of course after quitting Netmeeting AERO should have come available again.

Today I called the helpdesk again, and again they used Netmeeting again to solve an issue. Guess what happen when I closed the NM session ?

Bang. AERO was back on.

To conclude – its seems like a bug in the mechanism of locking AERO availability. NM failed to unlock in on its first exit and it does not unlock itself for some reason…

• Marked as answer by avnergid Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:47 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:46 PM