Remove Exchange 2003 - Fresh install Exchange 2013 after Successful 365 Migration RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently moved our whole organization onto Office 365 using the hybrid deployment route with an Exchange 2003 Server - recently peformed the DNS record changes so our mailflow goes directly to 365 servers.

We already have a Directory Sync Server which we have running, but we are looking to remove our old Exchange 2003 Server.

After doing this we are then looking to deploy Exchange 2013 using the free Hybrid license for access to the management features it offers.

We preferably do not want to perform an upgrade on our old 2003 server and rather have fresh install of exchange 2013 on a new server.

Advice in performing these steps would be a massive help.

Edit: I have seen this document for Exchange 2003 removal https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/833396

When removing Exchange 2003 from Active Directory would this affect items synced using Directory Sync?

• Edited by teaton Tuesday, January 5, 2016 12:27 PM Document found regarding removal of Exchange 2003
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 12:18 PM

Answers

• First a couple points:

• It is not possible to have a "hybrid" configuration between Exchange 2003 and Office 365. Exchange 2010 SP1 was the first version to introduce this concept.
    • It is not possible to deploy Exchange 2013 in an environment in which Exchange 2003 is not 100% (properly) removed.

From what you're describing, your current situation is as follows:

1. You have not yet removed Exchange 2003.
    2. Directory Sync is in place, maintaining your Exchange Online users.
    3. You want to remove Exchange 2003 but do not want to lose the ability to manage Exchange Online recipients.

If I've got this right, you fall in to the category of people described in this article. Essentially, you need to keep an on-prem Exchange server, for the purpose of attribute management.

I suggest you do the following:

1. Ensure Exchange 2003 is properly removed via steps described here: Remove the Last Legacy Exchange Server from an Exchange 2010 Organization (be sure however you don't delete any mailboxes). it's unclear how your objects are currently configured due to my first bullet point.
    2. Do a clean install of Exchange 2016, which is the current version of Exchange.
    3. Complete the hybrid wizard
    4. Do your Exchange Online management from the Exchange 2016 tools

You may want to contact professional services for assistance, since there are a few steps in the above which could cause a lot of problems for you if not done carefully.

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Baseline Technologies

• Proposed as answer by Roger Lu Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by teaton Wednesday, January 6, 2016 9:30 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 4:05 PM
  • Try to remove Exchange 2003 via add/remove programs. if it lets you, you should be good to go with a clean installation of Exchange 2016. Exchange doesn't let you uninstall however if mailboxes are still present, and i believe this is determined by the user's homemdb attribute. Since you did a staged migration (vs hybrid) this probably still has the Exchange 2003 value, which is a problem. I've not done many staged migrations, so i can't remember. You might have to do some scripting to address this.

Mike Crowley | MVP

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:00 PM

All replies

• First a couple points:

• It is not possible to have a "hybrid" configuration between Exchange 2003 and Office 365. Exchange 2010 SP1 was the first version to introduce this concept.
    • It is not possible to deploy Exchange 2013 in an environment in which Exchange 2003 is not 100% (properly) removed.

From what you're describing, your current situation is as follows:

1. You have not yet removed Exchange 2003.
    2. Directory Sync is in place, maintaining your Exchange Online users.
    3. You want to remove Exchange 2003 but do not want to lose the ability to manage Exchange Online recipients.

If I've got this right, you fall in to the category of people described in this article. Essentially, you need to keep an on-prem Exchange server, for the purpose of attribute management.

I suggest you do the following:

1. Ensure Exchange 2003 is properly removed via steps described here: Remove the Last Legacy Exchange Server from an Exchange 2010 Organization (be sure however you don't delete any mailboxes). it's unclear how your objects are currently configured due to my first bullet point.
    2. Do a clean install of Exchange 2016, which is the current version of Exchange.
    3. Complete the hybrid wizard
    4. Do your Exchange Online management from the Exchange 2016 tools

You may want to contact professional services for assistance, since there are a few steps in the above which could cause a lot of problems for you if not done carefully.

Mike Crowley | MVP

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 4:05 PM
  • This is exactly what we are looking for - 'Essentially, you need to keep an on-prem Exchange server, for the purpose of attribute management.'

Our current Exchange 2003 had only been setup for a Staged Migration to 365 using Exchange Outlook Anywhere for migrating the mailboxes - don't know if this information helps.

Also the guide you provided is for removing an Exchange 2003 Server from an Exchange 2010 Organization, currently we just have the single Exchange 2003 Server in the organization - would this guide still apply?

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 4:47 PM
  • Try to remove Exchange 2003 via add/remove programs. if it lets you, you should be good to go with a clean installation of Exchange 2016. Exchange doesn't let you uninstall however if mailboxes are still present, and i believe this is determined by the user's homemdb attribute. Since you did a staged migration (vs hybrid) this probably still has the Exchange 2003 value, which is a problem. I've not done many staged migrations, so i can't remember. You might have to do some scripting to address this.

Mike Crowley | MVP

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:00 PM