none
NLB setup issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm desperately trying to configure an UAG NLB setup using 2 virtualized UAG servers.
    I have performed the following steps:
    1. Configuring the virtual machine step - No changes required as i will be using Multicast mode as indicated by VMware KB
    2. Configured Virtual IP address:
        Every UAG server has 2 NICS, one external, one internal network
        UAG-1 External NIC IP Address: 192.168.0.1
        UAG-2 External NIC IP Address: 192.168.0.2
        Cluster IP Address (VIP): 192.168.0.12
        Using Multicast mode as suggested by VMware
    3. Skipped the trunk configuration
    4. Starting NLB - This where the fun stops

I'm getting to the point where I need to open up WebMonitor - Array manager - Current Status in order to start the NLB service
    When doing so I can see both UAG servers listed with NLB Status "Unknown" and Synchronization status set to "Error"

The actions dropdown list and apply buttons both are greyed-out, no action can be performed!!

- No NLB Errors are logged in the System eventlog
    - TMG load balancing services state is stopped for both nodes
    - When running NLB Manager on the Array manager node it shows the cluster, but host state is stopped

Running on an VMWARE V4.1 server
    Both UAG virtual servers are running Windows 2008 R2 RTM
    UAG is RTM, no hotfixes installed
    JRE 6u22 installed as required for the web monitor

What am I missing here?

Art

Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

NLB troubleshooting can be quicky. Some first ideas:
    1) Please note: If you want to use DirectAccess you have to use Unicast NLB
    2) There are some issues with NLB in Vmware environments in gerneral. Are you familar with these issues? There are some Vmware KB articles for NLB
    3) There are some hotfixes for TMG/UAG regarding NLB: KB977342 and KB980674
    4) I also recommend updating UAG to SP1 before you continue to setup UAG and Forefront TMG with SP1 / Update2
    5) some reading: http://danstoncloud.com/blogs/simplebydesign/archive/2010/08/11/directaccess-high-availability-with-uag-2010-part-5.aspx

regards Marc Grote aka Jens Baier - www.it-training-grote.de - www.forefront-tmg.de - www.nt-faq.de
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Make sure you're running UAG SP1 if you want to run in multicast mode - since only Unicast mode is supported before SP1.

HTH,

Tom

MS ISDUA/UAG DA Anywhere Access Team Get yourself some Test Lab Guides! http://blogs.technet.com/b/tomshinder/archive/2010/07/30/test-lab-guides-lead-the-way-to-solution-mastery.aspx
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:18 PM
  • I'm actually running UAG SP1 at the moment, upgraded the SP1 Release Candidate to SP1 RTM to be more specific.
    We're not planning on using DirectAccess now but the configuration should not block it in the future. We're mainly using UAG to provide ADFS V2.0 proxy functionality combined with pre-authn.

I've read the VMware articles relating to NLB and they suggest using multicast mode. However i'm really confused on the NLB multicast support present in SP1. Is it actually supported (in my scenario) or not?

One major difference in my setup compared to the other threads regarding NLB issues is that when looking at TMG the Network Load Balancing driver isn't started at all!

I only have the JRE installed on the array manager, i've read that it should be installed on the array members too. Does that explain the issue i'm experiencing?

Would would be the most logical troubleshooting steps for further examining this issue?  

Thanks for your support sofar.

Friday, December 17, 2010 8:21 AM