none
PDP pages do not get restored in database migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have an issue while performing database migration. Let me explain the scenario. The issue is that I had migrated 4+1 databases, i.e., 1 Content db and 4 Project Server DBs. We have only 2 site collections listed in DB, PWA and Top level root site collection, obviously when I restored the content DB, the PWA site is also restored. So I deleted that as I need to provision a new one with the same name. So after restoration, I provisioned a new PWA site with the restored databases. It provisioned perfectly and our data like projects, custom fields, etc are present. Also EPT pages are listed but they are not working reason being PDP pages are not restored in the migration. I tried this migration on 2 separate environments as well apart from this one and same is the case in all restoration. Though there are ways to get the PDP pages like using Playbook tool or configuring Manually again, but as per the concept it should be migrated along with the content database.

Can anyone please help in such situation as how can we get the PDP pages in database migration? Is there anything that I am missing?

Thanks, Sumit Gupta SharePoint Consultant MCP, MCTS, CCNA

Friday, June 15, 2012 11:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The PDPs reside in a document library within the PWA site. You mentioned above when you did the 4+1 restore you deleted the PWA site, the main benefit of doing a 4+1 is that you don't lose the contents of your PWA site and effectively wire it back up on the new instance.

If you restore again, this time, do not delete the PWA site and perform the reprovision, this will take your four Project server databases and then wire them back up to the PWA site (which includes your PDPs).

In answer to your other question, yes Playbooks can be used to move PDP's between environments.

So in short, don't delete the PWA site post content DB migration :)

Hope this helps.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The PDPs reside in a document library within the PWA site. You mentioned above when you did the 4+1 restore you deleted the PWA site, the main benefit of doing a 4+1 is that you don't lose the contents of your PWA site and effectively wire it back up on the new instance.

If you restore again, this time, do not delete the PWA site and perform the reprovision, this will take your four Project server databases and then wire them back up to the PWA site (which includes your PDPs).

In answer to your other question, yes Playbooks can be used to move PDP's between environments.

So in short, don't delete the PWA site post content DB migration :)

Hope this helps.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response. Yes it does worked.

Thanks, Sumit Gupta SharePoint Consultant MCP, MCTS, CCNA

Monday, June 18, 2012 10:26 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I have below databases in test environment "A"
    WSS_Content_PWA : Content database of root site http://bdportal-test:34178/ 
    PWA_WSS_Content : Content database of pwa site collection  http://bdportal-test:34178/pwa
    ProjectWebApp   : Project server database of pwa site  

I need to migrate to  test environment "B"

1. I restored using sql server all three databases to test environment "B"

2. create a new web application and mount DB "WSS_Content_PWA"

3. add then add content DB  "PWA_WSS_Content"

4. then provision PWA site using the same name "ProjectWebApp"

5. everything works well but PDP pages and other custom lists are not migrated.

What i may be missing out please let me know.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:07 PM