how to activate an eval copy of windows 2012 standard via KMS server? RRS feed

• Question

• how to activate an eval copy of windows 2012 standard via KMS server?

Activation using MKS key is also giving the error:

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• it seems you will need to use the DISM command to change the current-edition, in addition to entering the relevant KMSclient product key, to make this work correctly:

http://deploymentbunny.com/2013/10/17/nice-to-know-how-to-change-from-evaluation-to-the-real-stuff-in-windows-server-2012-r2/

(this example is for WS2012R2, so, check the relevant keys and details are correct for your WS2012)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Beadmin Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:27 PM
    • Edited by DonPick Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:30 AM fix typo
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:43 AM
  • This is awesome and worked like a charm,

Thanks Don

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:28 PM
  • Hi

Can i use DISM if i have around installed Active Directory role on the server and what are the implications

Regards

Nicky

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:28 PM
  • Hi

Can i use DISM if i have around installed Active Directory role on the server and what are the implications

Regards

Nicky

Assuming you mean WS2012 or WS2012R2;
    If you have setup a server, using the evaluation product/license, and installed the Domain Controller role, you cannot re-license (transmog) from EVAL to FULL. This action is explicitly blocked. You must reinstall.

If you don't want to lose your setup, you could:

- install another server (virtual is fine), promote that as DC, seize all roles to it, then demote the first server, transmog the license, then re-promote the first server back as a DC, seize all roles to it. You can then demote the second server, and decommission that second server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574204.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:12 PM