this change temporary or permanent?

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP
    I hope that's not UI -- but the proper term is a "Jet database", accessed
    through the "Jet engine". A fitting name, considering that it sucks and
    blows. -- Felix about Exchange's mailbox format

• Edited by Paul Adare Wednesday, April 1, 2015 5:42 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 12:28 PM

Answers

• This is a known issue in 10049.  The button is greyed out, and there's no easy way to get it back.  This is NOT how the product will ship; we'll bring the button back as soon as possible.

If you need to set static IP address on build 10049, you can use the New-NetIPAddress cmdlet, or the netsh utility.

I'm sorry for the trouble this causes you.  We don't mess with things without a good reason.  In this case, we re-worked some plumbing so that installing network drivers is more reliable, and can be done offline into a VHD.  Unfortunately that means we had to temporarily disable the IPv4 and IPv6 properties GUIs, since they weren't ready to work in the new engine yet.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:47 AM
  • The Binary Key "Config" under HKLM\System\Current Control Set\Control\Network is missing.

You are observant! I removed that registry value in build 10049. The operating system no longer needs to store data in that format; it's stored in a new location now.  There's no need to try and fix or restore the "Config" value on build 10049 or later.

Disclaimer: this is an unfinished product and our plans may change.  One quite likely change is that we discover some app that has taken some dependency on the "Config" value, and we need to write out a fake "Config" value for appcompat.  So if the value appears to come back before RTM... well you'll know what happened.

• Marked as answer by Paul Adare Wednesday, April 1, 2015 8:37 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:56 AM

All replies

• I can confirm what you're seeing.  I hope very much it's not a permanent
    change!

Bob Comer
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 12:44 PM
  • I can confirm it. Same to my installation.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 1:08 PM
  • Confirmed as well..  Even after removing adapter from device manager and having it reinstall after reboot, same issue. Had to use NetSh to set PC back to desired static IP addresses, subnet, dns and gateways. Ran into errors using known command line abilities to turn on Netbios over TCPIP and regedit method also results in being unable to re-enable Netbios of TCPIP ( ability was lost when adapter was reset and my existing static Ip settings were wiped and replaced with DHCP )

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 1:31 PM
  • That's confirmed, same here. Can't change netbios, DNS and all other stuff. Seems to me that it is a policy, already searched there but could not find it. 
    So please help us out.

Mark

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 3:14 PM
  • The Binary Key "Config" under HKLM\System\Current Control Set\Control\Network is missing.

Typically, this key is re-created on bootup if it is missing or deleted.  That isn't happening with this build.

The Config key was there in the prior public build (10041) so guess we'll have to wait for MSFT to correct.

UPDATE:  Just also noticed that msconfig Startup Selection is set to Selective Startup on my 10049 but Normal Startup on my 10041.  Might just be differences in hardware, etc. but would be curious to know what others are seeing.
    • Edited by john.b_ Tuesday, March 31, 2015 8:31 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 8:13 PM
  • Hi John,

I see Selective Start up as well.

Edit: I do not have that key
    • Edited by Lead3 Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:37 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:04 PM
  • I can confirm it.  The Properties button is disabled for both IP v4 and v6, can't change anything.

Vpn client isn't working, can't change ip address.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 1:31 AM
  • This is a known issue in 10049.  The button is greyed out, and there's no easy way to get it back.  This is NOT how the product will ship; we'll bring the button back as soon as possible.

If you need to set static IP address on build 10049, you can use the New-NetIPAddress cmdlet, or the netsh utility.

I'm sorry for the trouble this causes you.  We don't mess with things without a good reason.  In this case, we re-worked some plumbing so that installing network drivers is more reliable, and can be done offline into a VHD.  Unfortunately that means we had to temporarily disable the IPv4 and IPv6 properties GUIs, since they weren't ready to work in the new engine yet.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:47 AM

You are observant! I removed that registry value in build 10049. The operating system no longer needs to store data in that format; it's stored in a new location now.  There's no need to try and fix or restore the "Config" value on build 10049 or later.

Disclaimer: this is an unfinished product and our plans may change.  One quite likely change is that we discover some app that has taken some dependency on the "Config" value, and we need to write out a fake "Config" value for appcompat.  So if the value appears to come back before RTM... well you'll know what happened.

• Marked as answer by Paul Adare Wednesday, April 1, 2015 8:37 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:56 AM
  • On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 06:47:07 +0000, Jeffrey Tippet [MSFT] wrote:

I'm sorry for the trouble this causes you.  We don't mess with things without a good reason

No worries Jeffrey and no troubles for me. I know that there are a number
    of alternative methods to set those properties outside of the UI. I was
    just wondering about the apparent change.

I'm a big boy and can deal with issues in pre-release code. :-)

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP
    Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
    Thy programs run, thy syscalls done, in kernel as it is in user!
    -- BSD fortune file

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 8:30 AM
  • I think this change has killed Cisco Anyconnect.  Been unable to get it working trying every available fix from previous upgrades ;(   Logs point to the agent being unable to setup the TCPIP settings during login :(

Function: CVirtualAdapter::SetVATcpipInfoV4
    File: .\WindowsVirtualAdapter.cpp
    Line: 1463
    Invoked Function: RegOpenKey
    Return Code: 2 (0x00000002)
    Description: The system cannot find the file specified.

Couldn't open key "Tcpip_{E682F347-E89D-49D5-983B-289348AC9C50}"

• Edited by Tom Huseby1 Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:12 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:59 PM
  • Tom Huseby1 wrote: "I think this change has killed Cisco Anyconnect"

Well according to Mr. Tippet (see earlier posts) the "change" you refer to is not permanent.  However, I expect the symptom you cite may unfortunately be one of many that will ultimately require the type of "fake" registry tweak he envisions for compatibility.

• Edited by john.b_ Wednesday, April 1, 2015 10:18 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 10:16 PM
  • Another issue, sorry if it was discussed elsewhere, is the inability to install a TAP driver.  I had to revert back as my VPN software would not install.
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:38 PM
  • I can live with tcp/ip property not working as we can cli it.  

But common man I cannot get vpn going using 3 of the main products... Cisco Anyconnect being one.  This should have been done more on a test machine before pushing.  If you wanted the response of its broken ... period.  You got your results.  If you wanted bug detection, well if we cant use it yet we cant test it.   

William Lee

Friday, April 3, 2015 12:46 AM
  • I am having the issue where my network connection completely drops at random intervals. It appears to happen more quickly upon first boot and seems to correlate with high data traffic. I have several items that utilize network upon boot such as Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, Steam, Utorrent and etc. If I disable all of these from auto start and allow the machine to fully load before I open internet explorer my connection remains. If anyone of these are set to auto startup the connection drops. I get a yellow exclamation on the network icon. Ipconfig shows a valid ip address however release/renew locks the computer up. Reset of TCP/IP does nothing and unplugging the network cable and reconnecting does not fix it. Disabling the network card in device manager does not fix either. The only way to fix it is to do a full restart and have above items disabled from startup. Running these items after the machine is fully loaded kills the connection as well. 

Is this a known issue that is being worked on? I have had it on all 3 builds. Is there any kind of work around you can suggest that will keep me from having to restart the PC every time. As you can imagine, having to do this is maddening. I could easily live with it if I could fix without a restart. I have reported the issue via feedback in each build.

Monday, April 6, 2015 8:24 PM
  • Anyone else notice that when looking at the properties of a network adapter
    that the Properties button is disabled for both IP v4 and v6? I haven't
    tried netsh yet, but how would one go about changing these settings and is
    this change temporary or permanent?

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP
    I hope that's not UI -- but the proper term is a "Jet database", accessed
    through the "Jet engine". A fitting name, considering that it sucks and
    blows. -- Felix about Exchange's mailbox format

Not only that.  After updating to build 10049 all my internet browsers are not working and I cannot connect to the internet via anything apart from Project Spartan.  On my machine I cannot use Chrome, firefox, maxthon, ie and Vivaldi browsers.  I cannot use sql management studio to connect to external databases outside my network. Any help?
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 12:24 PM
  • After installing 10049 directly from iso (I was waiting some hours for upgrade from 10041 and then cancel it), I was not able to set IPv4 properties. As I'm on static IP, I couldn't not use internet.

So I made fresh install of build 10041, set Net properties making internet working and then let system to upgrade to 10049 (it was finished overnight). Now I have working internet with static address.

I'm running TP as a multi boot on different partition of the drive.

Friday, April 10, 2015 10:39 AM
  • Hi,

I've noticed that in 10049 Wireshark does not work any more. It cannot detect any network interface. I'm pretty sure it worked prior 10049 build.

Regards,

Marcin

Friday, April 10, 2015 3:18 PM
  • The next released build will also have a fix for Wireshark.
    Friday, April 10, 2015 6:25 PM
  • The next released build will also have a fix for Wireshark.

Will the next released build also have a fix for the entire IP v4/v6 Properties issue or is it just the Wireshark issue that you will have fixed?
    Friday, April 10, 2015 9:13 PM
  • Our latest internal builds have the fix for the IPv4/v6 Properties button. So the button will work on the next public preview build.  (Unless something goes awry, standard disclaimers, etc.)

Friday, April 10, 2015 9:19 PM
  • Our latest internal builds have the fix for the IPv4/v6 Properties button. So the button will work on the next public preview build.  (Unless something goes awry, standard disclaimers, etc.)

I posted a reply but accidentally hit the back button so I will refer to this post by me instead,,,  Please can you make a quick fix for this on windows update, this is a really serious bug and I dont want to wait another month for a new build.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/5101-win-10-build-10049-problems-ethernet-properties-2.html#post223547

Thanks,
    Marc

Sunday, April 12, 2015 10:07 PM
  • I had same problem tried almost everything , netsh..... , uninstalling and installing drivers etc nothing helps, hope they solve this problem  fast cause otherwise  it will be very hard for IT person to test it is capabilities 

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 9:25 AM
  • IPv4/v6 button issue  -> use an update to resolve the problem
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:34 PM
  • Hi Jeffrey,

Do you know how to disable vpn default gateway from command line in Windows 10? I could not untick the option in TCP/IP IPv4 due to this issue.

Thanks in advanced. :)

# Update

Nevermind, I disabled the vpn default gateway from PowerShell VPN Client CMDlets:

• Get-VpnConnection
    • Set-VpnConnection -Name "vpnname" -SplitTunneling $True
    • Edited by chrone81 Thursday, April 16, 2015 9:02 PM got the command line :D
    • Proposed as answer by trekmbikes Friday, July 10, 2015 8:01 AM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 10:15 PM
  • i realise you are moving things around for vm's and such

which is all good and well so will be fixed well before rtm

but is there any way via the console i can get netbios enabled

Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:27 AM
  • I run Juniper Network Connect and I cannot get it to to install now after the 10049 Build.  Is there a registry fix I could use to make the Juniper installer able to complete the VPN network driver install?
    Saturday, April 18, 2015 8:21 PM