Public Folder items (i.e. Emails) are NOT deleted automatically (Exchange 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• We want that items (i.e. Emails) are automatically deleted after 7 days. These are Email-enabled Public Folders for i.e. alert messages. Each folder has 2 replicas.

Settings:
    Public Folder > Properties > Limits > Age limits >Age limit for replicas (days) 7

Public Folder > Properties > Replication > Local replica age limit (days) 7

On the public folder database are:
    Age Limit for all folders: NOT set

Exchange 2010 SP1 on Win08R2SP1 (2x CAS&HTS and 2xMBS in an DAG, clients: OWA & Outlook 2011 for MAC) Clients: MAC Books. 2 DCs W08R2SP1, both GC, forest functional level W08R2. About 250 users.

How to set the automatic deletion? How to trigger the "garbage collection" (dont know the right expression for that)?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you John
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:07 PM

All replies

• There is no option to set for Individual Folders.

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:54 PM
  • @Satheshwaran Manoharan,

thank you for your reply.

I think that this options ON THE FOLDER  are just for our wanted behavior:
    - Public Folder > Properties > Limits > Age limits >Age limit for replicas (days) 7

- Public Folder > Properties > Replication > Local replica age limit (days) 7

see here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691327.aspx

Local replica age limit (days) Use this text box to specify the age limit for items in this public folder. Items that have reached the specified age limit are deleted.
    Age limit for replicas (days) Select this check box to limit the age of the public folder. Use the corresponding text box to specify the age limit in days. Replicas of this public folder are automatically deleted when the age limit is exceeded. You can enter a value between 0 and 24,855 days.

Any other hints?

Thank you John
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Hi,

We have age limit for public folder, so items which is expired should be deleted.

·  1. Age limit for all folders in the public folder database (days), which equates to the ItemRetentionPeriod parameter specified on the Public Folder Database

·  2. Use database age defaults, which equates to the UseDatabaseAgeDefaults parameter specified on the individual folder.

·  3. Age limit for replicas (days), which equates to the AgeLimit parameter also specified on the individual folder.

We need to check the PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME value of items which should be deleted in MFCMapi, please refer to following steps:
    =================
    1. Log on to a mailbox that has access to the items in public folders.
    2. Start MFCMapi and click OK at the opening screen.
    3. On the Session menu, select Logon and Display Store Table.
    4. Select the appropriate profile and click OK.
    5. In the upper window, double-click the Public Folders.
    6. In the next window, expand the Public Root.
    7. Expand the IPM_SUBTREE.
    8. Navigate to the appropriate Public Folder and double-click it.
    9. In the next window, select the message you want to look at, in the upper window.
    10. In the bottom window, scroll down under Property Names until you see PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME.
    11. Scroll to the right and you'll see the date/time under the Value column.

Besides, please try to run command below to repair the public folder database.

New-PublicFolderDatabaseRepairRequest -Database “Public Folder Database xxx” -CorruptionType ReplState

If the problem still persists, then please try to move all the items to a newly created public folder and then test the issue there.

• Edited by Xiu Zhang Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:50 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Xiu Zhang Monday, February 6, 2012 7:07 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Hi Xiu,

we checked the PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME and we see the date from today, obviosly because someone set this item to "read". So the age limit for deletion is not yet reached.

Does every change in read / unread status change the PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME?

Thank you very much!

John

Thank you John
    Monday, February 6, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Hi Xiu,

we checked the PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME and we see the date from today, obviosly because someone set this item to "read". So the age limit for deletion is not yet reached.

Does every change in read / unread status change the PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME?

Thank you very much!

John

Thank you John

Hi,

Yes, that would affect the PR_Last_modification_time.

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 3:38 AM
  • Hi,

we found this (double checked):

We have set the following on the Public Folders "Maintain per-user read and unread information for this folder" enabled" (Exchange 2010SP1 RU6)

We tested several times that if we read and change the read unread status of a message in OWA, there is NO CHANGE of PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME.

But if we read and change the read / unread status of a message with Outlook 2011 (Version 14.1.4.(111121), there IS A CHANGE of PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME.

In my understanding, this sets the message for the other users as a NEW / UNREAD Message! Also with this new date, there is no deletion :-( !

What can I do? Is this a known Issue? Should I start a new thread?

Thanks for your help

Greetings John

Thank you John

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Hi John,

PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME is a MAPI related attribute, so user who is using outlook read/unread message in this folder will affect the value on that attribute. It is by design.

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:52 AM
  • Hi Xiu,

thanks for help.

I testet it several times, with Outlook 2010 on Win7 and Outlook2003 SP3 on WinXPSP3, BUT there is NO CHANGE of PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME if "Maintain per-user read and unread information for this folder" enabled" if we read and change the read / unread status of a message . This makes sense for me.  Please check this in your environment.

But if we read and change the read / unread status of a message with Outlook 2011 (Version 14.1.4.(111121), there IS A CHANGE of PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME.

Any other hints?

Thank you very much

Greetings John

Thank you John

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 8:24 AM
  • Hi John

We've recently undertaken a project to purge email older than 3 years and have a public folder DB (thankfully not replicated) and I've been playing around with the age limit on some old items circa 2002.  I've set the limit to 3 years and the item persists.

I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your issue.

Thanks

Brian

Friday, October 18, 2013 3:58 PM
  • What's the "modified" timestamp on those items? That's the date that the system uses to determine of an item should be removed.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, October 19, 2013 4:20 PM