Making Modifications to Onet.xml RRS feed

• Question

• In my SP2007 farm, someone (long time ago) edited all onet.xml files in the SiteTemplate folder and put the attribute DisableWebDesignFeatures="wdfopensite"

The root element looked like

<Project Title="$Resources:onet_TeamWebSite;" Revision="2" ListDir="$Resources:core,lists_Folder;" xmlns:ows="Microsoft SharePoint" DisableWebDesignFeatures="wdfopensite">

some people wanted to use the designer so I changed each onet.xml file to 

<Project Title="$Resources:onet_TeamWebSite;" Revision="2" ListDir="$Resources:core,lists_Folder;" xmlns:ows="Microsoft SharePoint" >

After this I was able to use the sharepoint designer against the site. 

However after this change was made. Many site users complained that when they access their site they get an error

Error: Exception occurred. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020009 (DISP_E_EXCEPTION))

Now If I rollback the change the COM Exception disappears... but then I cannot use the SPD against any site because the STS template has disable designer attribute.

Why would the COM 0x80020009 Exception come because of editing the ONET.xml (ONLY for few sites) and why would it go away if I rollback the changes?

MSDNStudent Knows not much!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:46 PM

Answers

• BTW, I resolved this problem by going a good sharepoint site and took a backup of entire SiteTemplates directory. then I came to the site where i was having problems and I overwrote the sitetemplates directory.

problem resolved!

Sunday, July 1, 2012 8:21 AM

All replies

• Upon googling the web. many people have faced this com exception because of corruption of the file below and solved it by deleting this file.

C:\program files\common files\Microsoft shared\web server extensions\12\template\1033\xml\webtempXYZ.xml

But my question is why would this file get "corrupted" if I just removed the designer attribute from onet.xml? (that too only for few sites)

Also, why would it get "uncorrpted" if I rollback the change in the onet.xml?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Ensure that you did an IISRESET after doing the change in Onet.xml. Whenever doing a modification in OOTB files like onet.xml, it is recommended to keep a backup copy handy.

Aravind http://aravindrises.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:41 PM
  • yes we did IISRESET /RESTART

I also made a backup of entire SiteTemplates directory and was able to fix the error by reverting back to my backup SiteTemplates directory

But why would the com error come just because I remove the designer restricting attribute?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

Using the  DisableWebDesignFeatures="wdfopensite" attribute in the onet.xml actually "Disable access to the entire Web site". You can get information on this here - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms438080.aspx . This is the reason users are getting error when they try to access their site. 

The error - Error: Exception occurred. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020009 (DISP_E_EXCEPTION)) ,  is basically access restricted error.

Prateesh Nair (MCTS) | Orion India Systems

Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:12 AM
  • The error - Error: Exception occurred. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020009 (DISP_E_EXCEPTION)) ,  is basically access restricted error.

How did you find this out? is there a document/link?

Sunday, July 1, 2012 8:20 AM
  • BTW, I resolved this problem by going a good sharepoint site and took a backup of entire SiteTemplates directory. then I came to the site where i was having problems and I overwrote the sitetemplates directory.

problem resolved!

Sunday, July 1, 2012 8:21 AM